Foul - runner advances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2014
Little League - Majors

Foul Ball is hit (might have been tip into catcher's glove, however not third strike). Prior to ball being hit, runner on first base was stealing towards second. According to the field ump she made it before the ball was called foul, therefore she was safe. I have never seen this before and was curious is this is true? The other team argued that the runner should return to first and that is what they were told.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
According to the field ump she made it before the ball was called foul, therefore she was safe.

^^Not a rule

Foul Ball is hit (might have been tip into catcher's glove, however not third strike).

^^Important info... a ball fouled directly into the catcher's glove is a live ball and the runner can steal. Runner can advance on pop ups caught in foul territory providing they tag. Other fouls runners must return to their base.

Apr 17, 2014
Please be more specific with regard to the ball hitting the bat, where it went, etc.

Far as I know, it did hit the bat and went right into the catcher's glove (I know this is more solid than my first post, thought about it more and questioned my daughter). When I questioned whether this would be an out, our coach said not unless it was the third strike. I am guessing that our coach misheard the explanation, or gave me a very watered down, not correct explanation.

Just looked up foul tip vs foul ball and learned a lot, including what the coach said about strike count. And if I read correctly, it would not be an out due to catching a 'foul ball' like I was imagining, but an out due to third strike? I played at this level, but honestly don't remember the rules, and had believed that foul tip would be an out. Also, makes what the interpretation from the ump make more sense too. She did not reach due to beating the foul call, she reached due to the ball being a live ball due to a foul tip.

Guess my question now, would be if the catcher did not securely hold on, would it then be considered a foul and the runner would have to return?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
If catcher did not catch the ball then it would become a foul ball and runners would have to return.

Apr 17, 2014
If catcher did not catch the ball then it would become a foul ball and runners would have to return.
Thank you! I am usually the only one in the dugout while the girls are batting and have them questioning why so and so is out, or questions about plays so I want to make sure I understand what I seeing so I can educate them properly.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Guess my question now, would be if the catcher did not securely hold on, would it then be considered a foul and the runner would have to return?

It's only a "foul tip" IF CAUGHT.

If not caught, it is a foul ball ( dead ball, runners return)

Rule 2.0 in your LL Rulebook

Apr 17, 2014
It's only a "foul tip" IF CAUGHT.

If not caught, it is a foul ball ( dead ball, runners return)

Rule 2.0 in your LL Rulebook

I am just a parent helping out since the coach (just out of high school) lost her assistant coach, and not many other parents have stepped up to help. She rarely has her rule book on her and I borrow it when I can to learn.

Jun 11, 2013
I know for me, every time a parent or coach learns a rule it's better for the kids. Learn the major rules as best as you can so you know what's going on. The people here will always answer your questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45