For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Bat wrap? There was a reason I posted the example of Pujols with this still photo. I've been at this stuff way too long. Many years ago, BBScout or DMac on various sites started discussing the concept of tip and rip. Tip and rip was a way to get a running start in the swing process which enabled a hitter to have extra time to load, read and make that decision on whether to hit a pitch or check that swing. Look at what Pujols is doing and then, in BB's swing, she is already in the process of the swing. Some might describe her as being in the process of and early in turning the barrel.
I'll add one more video and then I am out of this thread. I apologize to those who I've bored by repeating stuff I've posted here a dozen times. That comes with being here from the beginning of this site. I've already participated too much. This is #49 and was off of Morgan Foley:

I did not see Pujols photo but know his mechanics well. Well enough to know he adjusts his back foot orientation for different pitchers or speeds perhaps. like pointing his back toe toward the 1B dugout at times, possibly to speed up his backside rotation. He also varies his toe-touch. Maybe his greatness is the result.

I understand dropping or tilting the bat head. I had one girl here I would have liked to teach it to. Her slugging percentage is 1.768. But she has had some barred-arm issues, so I hesitate. What I would say is if "turning the barrel" were done slow enough and not infringing on the actual swing, it would be better. In other words, the bat-head ends up in the same spot before the bat is taken to ball and typically the back elbow comes down to the low position as the bat-head turns. That is an if! I consider turning the barrel to be part of the load, not the swing, just like a high back elbow is part of the load, that can affect the swing. My point is not that girl's, women can not be successful, but it, meaning a high-back elbow, and an upper-cut at the ball are not positives, in my opinion, to teach as fundamentals to "growing" players. The more moving parts, the easier for anything or anyone to break down.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Bat wrap? There was a reason I posted the example of Pujols with this still photo. I've been at this stuff way too long. Many years ago, BBScout or DMac on various sites started discussing the concept of tip and rip. Tip and rip was a way to get a running start in the swing process which enabled a hitter to have extra time to load, read and make that decision on whether to hit a pitch or check that swing. Look at what Pujols is doing and then, in BB's swing, she is already in the process of the swing. Some might describe her as being in the process of and early in turning the barrel.
I'll add one more video and then I am out of this thread. I apologize to those who I've bored by repeating stuff I've posted here a dozen times. That comes with being here from the beginning of this site. I've already participated too much. This is #49 and was off of Morgan Foley:

What I see that is common to so many good hitters is:
  • The hands go to in front of the deltoid
  • The back elbow pulls back to behind the hands during the stride
  • Right before toe touch or at toe touch the yes/no decision is made
Working with 10U girls last winter, when they started working the elbow with the stride, the bat speed visibly increased. And in post #211 on page 22, those are that adjustments made to get the 12 year-old out of her slump.

When are you coming back coach. Won't tell your wife or daughter. ;)

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I did not see Pujols photo but know his mechanics well. Well enough to know he adjusts his back foot orientation for different pitchers or speeds perhaps. like pointing his back toe toward the 1B dugout at times, possibly to speed up his backside rotation. He also varies his toe-touch. Maybe his greatness is the result.

I understand dropping or tilting the bat head. I had one girl here I would have liked to teach it to. Her slugging percentage is 1.768. But she has had some barred-arm issues, so I hesitate. What I would say is if "turning the barrel" were done slow enough and not infringing on the actual swing, it would be better. In other words, the bat-head ends up in the same spot before the bat is taken to ball and typically the back elbow comes down to the low position as the bat-head turns. That is an if! I consider turning the barrel to be part of the load, not the swing, just like a high back elbow is part of the load, that can affect the swing. My point is not that girl's, women can not be successful, but it, meaning a high-back elbow, and an upper-cut at the ball are not positives, in my opinion, to teach as fundamentals to "growing" players. The more moving parts, the easier for anything or anyone to break down.
It is amazing what can be accomplished by rotating the back foot as little as an inch in either direction away from perpendicular to the box!

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
It is amazing what can be accomplished by rotating the back foot as little as an inch in either direction away from perpendicular to the box!

Great tool for weak backside rotation. However, I try to work the player out of it as soon as possible because they are already starting to orient toward RF, and I look for over-rotation on outside pitches.

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Too many cookie cutter, one size fits all approaches to hitting discussed all to often. If it doesn't fit that persons agenda then its not a "Elite" swing LOL

As I was saying before, there are "belief systems", ideology about hitting rather than allowing a comfort zone. I teach a basic system to younger kids in my clinics here, but I mostly involve older players on the National Team, or Junior National Team. They are not identical, but if there is an issue, then I change them. What I do not believe in is a fallacious argument. An example of that would be Antonelli saying that "turning the bat" gets your bat on the plane of the pitch earlier, which is desired. In fact it is! But then claims it is ok to swing up at a riseball. And there are those who would overlook this fallacy. The truth is as he originally stated. Two objects moving fast have the best chance at solid contact on the same plane of travel. That is what a Particle Accelerator does in the study of sub-particles. If a good rise-ball is the most dominating pitch in fastpitch, then why would you compromise your approach to make contact? I think Antonelli is a very good coach. But he is compromised by this idea of swinging up at a riseball. But then again he has never been a softball coach or studied the game as much as most coaches here. He is engaged in a belief system. The deeper one is engaged in a belief system or ideology, the less they can learn or adapt!

I forgot one more thing. In his videos he demonstrates pushing the hands at the ball. As I said before, I have never seen this before, but I do not coach rec or little league, so maybe they do. My hitters have no "valleys" in their swings. The bat head is on plane behind the back leg. Shoulder tilt takes it there, and like any good hitter the hands stay connected to the shoulder until the back elbow gets to slot, or hip connection.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Hesitate was probably a good choice! LOL

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Yes we won a HS state championship with a tall girl throwing 50. The other team was so jacked up with their tight muscle spasm swings she just kept taking speed off the pitch.

In 2017 we played Team USA in Oklahoma City; World Cup. We threw our slowest pitcher, 58mph against them. We faced Barnhill and Moore. The score was 0-0 in the 5th inning. The pitching coach put in a new girl who threw 61 (second slowest). Michelle Moutrie hit a line drive over the center-field fence for 2 runs. He said, "I thought she was a singles hitter". I told him, "You didn't ask!" We went on to loose 4-0. Everything just broke apart in the pitching, but the defense was great.

Attachments

• 100986584_289060955606749_3697998439930396672_n.jpg
    100986584_289060955606749_3697998439930396672_n.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Hesitate was probably a good choice! LOL

Bye the way, Reyae swings a Demarini CF9 -10 Slapper. She has won every home-run tournament title and slugging percentage here among high school girls since age 14 here in this photo. You can see the beginnings of her barred front arm issue. We are working on it.

Attachments

• Reyae.jpg
    Reyae.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles