Florida gets info on menstrual cycle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2021
I'm not offended at all, and I'm sorry for what you're daughter went through. It must be a horrifying experience. In fact, my opinion on the matter may or may not align with yours, but I won't share it in this forum.

That being said, I don't want to know your politics, but your post makes it clear where you stand. For me, this forum is about softball, not politics. We get beaten over the head with that enough in our every day lives. I don't need, nor want it here. If it continues, I'll sadly depart.
It is an unfortunate situation in Florida (and possibly other states in the future) that politics will affect youth sports. The only question on a players physical release paperwork that should matter is if in the doctors opinion “This player is fit for physical activity or This player is unfit for physical activity”.

Why this question or issue is being proposed in Florida is the political leanings and governance currently in charge in the state. As someone else stated Mr. Magoo could see this and why. It makes sense to protect the school or entity wanting a physical conducted by a doctor to clear to athletes to participate. However following HIPPA should prevent the doctor from sharing any other information other Yes/No on participation.

May 27, 2013
It is an unfortunate situation in Florida (and possibly other states in the future) that politics will affect youth sports. The only question on a players physical release paperwork that should matter is if in the doctors opinion “This player is fit for physical activity or This player is unfit for physical activity”.

Why this question or issue is being proposed in Florida is the political leanings and governance currently in charge in the state. As someone else stated Mr. Magoo could see this and why. It makes sense to protect the school or entity wanting a physical conducted by a doctor to clear to athletes to participate. However following HIPPA should prevent the doctor from sharing any other information other Yes/No on participation.

Not sure how it’s handled where you live but the form is filled out by the healthcare provider post-exam and is given back to the student-athlete/parent. Where it goes from there is up to the athlete/parent - be it to the coach, athletic director, etc. The healthcare provider is not in violation of HIPAA (one P, two A’s) at that point once it is handed over since a healthcare provider is allowed to provide the health information directly to the actual patient/legal guardian.

I wonder if most people even understand what HIPAA is and what it covers?

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
No. No they don't. That's an easy answer.

E6xj2_fWYAUaOnk.jpg:large

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I live in PA as well and i remember getting physicals for playing sports and my menstrual cycle was one of the things discussed and the state wanted to know all about that kind of stuff. Of course, I had to tell the doctor.

But I think its stupid that the state has to know what my menstrual cycle is like. I never really paid much attention to my menstrual cycle until I found out I had endometriosis. I mean...I don't understand why its important for the high school state athletic board to know about my menstrual cycle when it has nothing to do with athletics when I'm menstruating.

May 27, 2013
I live in PA as well and i remember getting physicals for playing sports and my menstrual cycle was one of the things discussed and the state wanted to know all about that kind of stuff. Of course, I had to tell the doctor.

But I think its stupid that the state has to know what my menstrual cycle is like. I never really paid much attention to my menstrual cycle until I found out I had endometriosis. I mean...I don't understand why its important for the high school state athletic board to know about my menstrual cycle when it has nothing to do with athletics when I'm menstruating.

You mentioned before that you would like to go to medical school in the past, correct? Once you get there, I’m sure you will see how the menstrual cycle can be affected by various conditions that can potentially cause issues for an athlete.

Honestly, the state does not care about your menstrual cycle - the list of questions is for the healthcare provider to review before signing off on the form and clearing the athlete for sports participation.

Again, my understanding of the actual article posted is that the forms or questions will now be stored in an online database which may or may not have the ability to protect private health information. The questions aren’t new. The hard copy of the form in Florida also lists the (optional) menstrual cycle questions.

May 27, 2013
Just an honest question for those concerned primarily about the questions surrounding an athlete’s menstrual cycle - what are your concerns about these questions?

Sports physicals are typically conducted only once per year and they cover all three seasons if your athlete plays more than one sport. Those menstrual cycle questions are only being answered once per year. No one is tracking them to make sure a female is still getting her period monthly.

Unfortunately, the media grabbed the attention they were seeking with the way they titled the article. Once again to cause rifts, distrust, and spur political conflict.

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
You mentioned before that you would like to go to medical school in the past, correct? Once you get there, I’m sure you will see how the menstrual cycle can be affected by various conditions that can potentially cause issues for an athlete.

Honestly, the state does not care about your menstrual cycle - the list of questions is for the healthcare provider to review before signing off on the form and clearing the athlete for sports participation.

Again, my understanding of the actual article posted is that the forms or questions will now be stored in an online database which may or may not have the ability to protect private health information. The questions aren’t new. The hard copy of the form in Florida also lists the (optional) menstrual cycle questions.
Yes, you're right. I am a pre-med major. I'm wanting to become an OBGYN. I'm sure once I go into medical school, I'll understand why menstrual cycles affect everything for an athlete.

I just don't like an athletic governing body needing to know about our menstrual cycle.

May 27, 2013
Yes, you're right. I am a pre-med major. I'm wanting to become an OBGYN. I'm sure once I go into medical school, I'll understand why menstrual cycles affect everything for an athlete.

I just don't like an athletic governing body needing to know about our menstrual cycle.
The governing body would need you to sign a waiver to gain access to that information in most cases.

May 29, 2015
Yeah @softgabby ... why do you care that your personal and private health information is being demanded by a bunch of stuffy old white dudes in power (and then being fed into a minimally secure database being run by a third party, private, for-profit company)? You don't need to be able to make decisions over your own body anyway. They know better than you anyway.

This is information that not even your employer who pays for your healthcare insurance has any right or need to. It certainly isn't information that any sports club has any need for or right to. I can most definitely say no level of government has any right to or need of to conduct the legitimate business of the government.

This is information that is only relevant between a woman and her healthcare provider of choice. It has nothing to do with softball and government unless said government is trying to dictate who they believe should play women's sports and what a woman can do. We know that state is doing just that.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Yeah @softgabby ... why do you care that your personal and private health information is being demanded by a bunch of stuffy old white dudes in power (and then being fed into a minimally secure database being run by a third party, private, for-profit company)? You don't need to be able to make decisions over your own body anyway. They know better than you anyway.

This is information that not even your employer who pays for your healthcare insurance has any right or need to. It certainly isn't information that any sports club has any need for or right to. I can most definitely say no level of government has any right to or need of to conduct the legitimate business of the government.

This is information that is only relevant between a woman and her healthcare provider of choice. It has nothing to do with softball and government unless said government is trying to dictate who they believe should play women's sports and what a woman can do. We know that state is doing just that.
Exactly @The Man In Blue . You've hit the nail on the head. I'm upset that the government wants to know all about my reproductive health. They feel they need to know that I bleed and have a crapton of pain 7 of every 26 days. They don't care about anything but holding on to their power and special interests. I really wish we could vote some youth into our political system. I've seen it in other states...why can't we do it in Pennsylvania?

But your right. This is only information that should be known between me and my healthcare provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi