First win of the season! But...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
...far from a perfectly-managed game. I'm still new on the job and it's still early in the season, so I'm glad I'm making them now.

Disclaimer: We faced a team who did not have their ace available for this game, as she's also on an ASA team. Their #2 is good, though. In 3 innings, she struck out 4 and only walked 7.

I sent #2 starter Mojo to the circle as well. After catching a lazy pop for the first out, she walked 2 batters who stole 2nd & 3rd on a WP and then an error at 3rd allowed a run to score. She finished up the inning K, BB, K, trailing 1-0.

Our leadoff struck out, then we got back-to-back singles, stole 2nd & 3rd, took a walk to load the bases, and then our #5 doubled to left to give us the 2-1 lead. 2 more walks forced in another run, then our #8 batter singled to right (I think it was an error by 1B, but could've gone either way) and they missed the tag at home as our 5th run scored to end the inning.

Mojo went back out and quickly handed out 3 K's on 11 pitches. With so much time left on the game clock, I was afraid we'd go 6 innings, so I asked whether she felt good to go back out for the 3rd and then got the other pitcher onboard with going 4, 5, and possibly 6.

Next ups, our #9 got a leadoff single, #10 K'd swinging, 2 walks loaded them up, and then our #13 batter got a bat on the ball which traveled about 3 feet in front of the plate and the pitcher was late with the throw to home. 3 straight singles by the top of our order ended the inning with us leading 10-1.

That was a long inning, though, and it was getting COLD fast. No excuses, but I should've had Mojo throwing or at least wearing a sweatshirt, because there was a lot of bench time. She hit their #11 batter, then walked 6 of 9, allowing 4 runs before getting out of the inning with a couple of K's.

Our other pitcher was ready to relieve Mojo at any time, but with the big lead, I decided not to make the change.

In our 3rd at-bat, our #4 and #5 K'd swinging. Credit to their pitcher for taking down 2 of our big guns. A single and 2 walks loaded them, then #9 got her 2nd hit of the game - an infield single - to give us the insurmountable 11-5 lead.

With the bases still loaded, #10 was called out on strikes by the ump. She started towards the dugout and I told her to hustle in as the scorekeepers told the umpire that was only the 2nd called strike. But, because she was already in the dugout, the called out stood. I have to take the bad on that for not knowing the count.

In the top of the 4th, we sent our #1 starter out to finish the game, and she went walk, K, hit batter, K, K to wrap up the 11-5 win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1