Feedback on DD's Swing Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Priority #1 - Sequence. Currently, she is moving in an all-back/all-forward pattern, which is not ideal. A big thing we want to see is stretch/separation created by the hands going up and back AT THE SAME TIME the stride is going forward.

Posey_060813_side.gif

This might also provide some useful information for you...

May 3, 2014
Keep the barrel from flattening - the position below is really good wrt the lower body. Try and get to the position Pujols is in. Control the top hand from pulling back by applying more resistance with the bottom hand

zJWwh0.jpg
SP5E9M.jpg

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Turn the barrel....turn the barrel...turn the barrel!!!!!!! Get her hands to torque the barrel and her body will do good things.

Snf drill: my kid

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Very flat swing.

There are things I like, just needs to learn connection. The hips and getting the weight back is what I like. Just needs work. The posture needs work.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Very nice swing. Just need to keep the bat taller .

You can start flat as long as you get taller before release. You don't want to start tall and then get flat before you release.

This swing does not need much work. just work on having a tall bat before release.
Thanks for the gif RD

Straightleg

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Very nice swing. Just need to keep the bat taller .

You can start flat as long as you get taller before release. You don't want to start tall and then get flat before you release.

This swing does not need much work. just work on having a tall bat before release.

Do you feel that keeping the bat tall for longer will naturally lead to turning the barrel, or that turning the barrel will need to be taught here? I don't coach hitters except my own, so don't have much experience here, but I'm skeptical that this will be enough. Great place to start, no debating that.

Also wonder if she is pulling the bat back so far that it will be difficult to turn the barrel, even if barrel is tall. I've noticed that my DD sometimes will exaggerate how far back or up she takes her hands (in order to hit the ball harder), and the result is that it becomes hard not to pull/drag the bat a little instead of turning it. It's better when she has 'good' separation, like Pujols, and not exaggerated separation, like the hitter in question.

And finally, the fact that this hitter does get so much separation suggests that she intuitively knows the value of separation. Just wonder if she could be more efficient and in synch with it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While having a 'back, up, and in' movement pattern is fine, launching the swing from this hand height is not fine.

2jfgg13.jpg

You wouldn't get in a boxing match and throw punches from this height ... and you shouldn't be launching a swing from this hand height either.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o3jcamOdRj1usf292o1_400.gif

Hands load way to far back and up. A lot of 'slack/slop' to make up as the barrel goes forward. Also the swing looks like a momentum based top down swing.
2jfgg13.jpg

From this point in the pic...If the hands/arms weren't loaded so far back(towards catcher) and UP and the hitter 'turned the barrel towards the ball' from this position. You would have yourself a hitter with that leg 'drive' that's she already has.
Again JMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01