eligibility for HS while playing TB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Interesting thread...made me look up rules for my state (Ohio). Here, players on the HS team cannot play TB during the HS season (spring), and there is a limit to 4 girls from the same HS being on the same TB team. So, my question is this: lets say that a TB team has 4 players from the HS on the team. A 5th girl who is not on the HS team and has no intention of playing for the HS wants to join. Is she allowed, or will she end up making the other 4 players ineligible to play HS as well?

I see this as a real possibility for some of the girls currently on a 14U travel team in our area. They may want to continue on to a 16U TB team, but for various reasons may not want to play on the HS team.

Jul 28, 2008
Osric,

They have to be from the school and playing softball to be considered by the maximum of 4 rule.

The rule reads as follows:

4.21) The number of interscholastic softball players from the same school on a noninterscholastic
squad is limited to four on the roster of that non-interscholastic
squad. A roster is defined as all the members of the entire squad on that noninterscholastic
squad.

Note: Graduating seniors who are participating on a non-interscholastic softball
squad after their final interscholastic contest of the season in the sport of
softball are exempt from this limitation.

4.22) There is no limit on the number of softball squad members from the same
school participating on the same squad during the period beginning Friday
prior to Memorial Day weekend (May 24, 2013)-July 31, 2013 provided the
players have concluded their school season.

4.23) A player may continue to play with a non-interscholastic squad in a national
qualifying tournament in excess of the four player limitation after July 31
until the squad is eliminated but no later than Labor Day.

4.24) Non-interscholastic participation includes tryouts, training, practice and competition.

LINK

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
As a former head coach in both softball and baseball, I loved open gym and made it available. I also made sure that I never called it baseball or softball open gym as well as made it clear that all sports program athletes were welcomed. I know I've posted this here before but it was not uncommon to have two, three or four different sports athletes show up. Our A.D. always made sure to stroll through the gym from the teacher parking lot and documented all of the time the participation level. I was always glad he took the time to do so.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
4.24) Non-interscholastic participation includes tryouts, training, practice and competition.

LINK

Thanks for the link...read through it. So, since it says:

"4.22) There is no limit on the number of softball squad members from the same school participating on the same squad during the period beginning Friday prior to Memorial Day weekend (May 24, 2013)-July 31, 2013 provided the players have concluded their school season."

"4.23) A player may continue to play with a non-interscholastic squad in a national qualifying tournament in excess of the four player limitation after July 31 until the squad is eliminated but no later than Labor Day."

Does that mean that a team CAN be put together from the same school between end of May to end of July, BUT those players cannot even try out for the next year's TB team after July 31? No fall league either even though it is not in the season for Ohio HS softball?

Apr 1, 2010
Weightroom is OK and coaches can tell the prospects to go. Only those coaches or teachers certified to oversee weightroom training, though, can run sessions. The schools don't put much diversity into this, so the typical regimen and set up is for football, ie powerlifting. You have to put your foot down and go in there and take over, so to speak, to get any regimens that are not powerlifting.

LOL, I might just stand back and let them run her through the football regimen. Back when DD was little and saw her first Olympics on TV; I was quite surprised that it was the weight-lifting which fascinated her. I told her no, I didn't want her weight-lifting yet. But she's grown a lot since then; I think DD would love powerlifting. I bet it would help her win the district middle school shot put medal again too. She was pretty excited about that! :-D

The only thing I might worry about is her knees. With our hip structure and fluctuating hormone levels, I know girl's knees are generally more prone to issues. Hopefully the coaches know that you have to be careful with girl's knees too.

Apr 9, 2012
LOL, I might just stand back and let them run her through the football regimen. Back when DD was little and saw her first Olympics on TV; I was quite surprised that it was the weight-lifting which fascinated her. I told her no, I didn't want her weight-lifting yet. But she's grown a lot since then; I think DD would love powerlifting. I bet it would help her win the district middle school shot put medal again too. She was pretty excited about that! :-D

The only thing I might worry about is her knees. With our hip structure and fluctuating hormone levels, I know girl's knees are generally more prone to issues. Hopefully the coaches know that you have to be careful with girl's knees too.

S would be a great powerlifter. No body would tease her either as shed glare at them and theyd run :)

Also pitchers and catchers are the only ones who can throw a ball ( state rule ), lucky thing for us we always had 20 pitchers and catchers that time of year. :)

An area HS Baseball coach says he checked with State office and they said anyone could throw since it could be described as conditioning. Kinda of gray area though when it comes to tell them how to throw.....

It just takes 1 father/mother who is a lawyer, they probably fold and keep it quiet.

Or one angry parent to rat you out when school season starts and they are not happy with Suzi's role on the team.
I have been told that many violations are reported to the state office because some one is angry with the hometown program: Off season practices, activities during dead period, coaches coaching during an open gym, etc.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My daughter just got on a team where 3 girls go to one high school, and 2 others are middle schoolers who will be at that school next year. We're picking up a player this weekend who goes to this high school. In one year, all six will be at this high school.

It's amazing to me that this team, which has been together for 4 years, could not continue to exist in some states without either pushing somebody off the team or keeping 5 girls from being eligible.

Jan 24, 2011
My daughter just got on a team where 3 girls go to one high school, and 2 others are middle schoolers who will be at that school next year. We're picking up a player this weekend who goes to this high school. In one year, all six will be at this high school.

It's amazing to me that this team, which has been together for 4 years, could not continue to exist in some states without either pushing somebody off the team or keeping 5 girls from being eligible.

The team would exist just fine during the Summer , but just not during the school year

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut