Either I'm crazy or it's the Ump

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2015
So my DD is pitching today and an ump tells me she has to be standing on the plate with both feet to begin the pitch. My DD drags her foot across the front of the plate not on it on it. She keeps contact with the plate. So am I crazy or is it the Ump?

Jun 12, 2015
To start the pitch both feet have to be in contact with the plate, right? I don't think she has to be standing on it, just touching it with both feet. Mine always has her front foot half on, half off (to push) and her back foot on the ground but with the toe of her shoe in contact with the back of the plate.

Jun 22, 2008
What rule set? Some rule sets require a portion of the pivot foot to actually be on top of the pitcher plate. ASA only requires the pivot foot to be in contact with the pitcher plate to start. Almost all rule sets also require the stride foot to be in contact at the start of the pitch.

Oct 27, 2015
Rules are from Softball Canada and Softball BC. The rule states both feet must have contact with the plate but it's a constant argument I'm having with umps as she is the only one who drags her foot across the frontside. Does anyone else have their daughter do this with no portion of the foot on top? I'm starting to feel like I misunderstood the drive mechanics from JS.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I have one ump that I fight this same battle with every time he gets our game and my daughters pitching. My daughter butts her heal up against the front side of the rubber and her left toes butted up on the back side of the rubber. (She's a Hillhouse kid) he try's to tell me her push of foot has to start on top of the rubber AND (here's the really good part) her foot has to stay in contact with the rubber until the ball is released! He acts like I am the idiot. The rules for that tournament org only states that both feet have to be in contact with the rubber at the start of the pitch.

Oct 27, 2015
Yea, good. I thought I was alone in this. It sounds like we have the same thing going on. It's an endless struggle to educate other coaches and umps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA