Easton synge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2010
The Synge may seem like a great bat if you are moving from $50 aluminum bat which comparatively it is but so are the $99 composites. When compared to other composites it really does not match up. For smaller bats I prefer the OG pink Halos which can be had for $130 shipped w/reciept, I just bought 3 in 30" 29" & 28".

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
A softball mallet is a softball with a wooden handle. You can use it to break in a composite bat. Or a glove.
You just take a softball, drill a hole in it and install a wooden handle or dowel into the softball...thus you have a softball mallet. How to Make a Ball Mallet for Under $5.00 - YouTube

By repeating hitting the ball (really wacking it) down the length of the bat, then rotating the bat at 1/4" increments, you can break your bat in quicker than hitting 500 softballs off it. It also breaks in the bat more evenly. Example on you tube.

How to break in a softball bat. - YouTube

I used it and you can really feel the break in after about 300 hits...the ball really recoils off the bat after hitting it.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Where did you find that deal?

I found the deal at Sale! Buy Easton Synge SRV6B Fastpitch Softball -11.5oz Bat 2010 REVIEWS: FREE SHIPPING Length/Weight 34/21.5 inch/oz 30/18.5 inch/oz 31/19.5 inch/oz 32/20.5 inch/oz 33/21.5 inch/oz Drop Drop-11.5 inch/oz 99-Cent Bat Offer No, thanks EASTON Reflex SX. You can buy one Synge for $119.95 and the second Synge for $59 ($178.95 total). I would also recommend purchasing the Mystique for $0.99. The Mystique feels exactly like the Synge, and is a great substitute for batting cage work, etc.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have a parent with 2 10U players, both small; they are both currently swinging an aluminum bat.

This looks like a great deal if you can use 2 bats.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
ASA description of ABI (advance break in techniques):
-Rolling
-Vising
-HAMMERING/IMPACTING WITH FOREIGN OBJECT.[/ ie "softball mallet"

Your daughter's punishment for what you did:
Article 510, M, 06

Any player discovered using an altered bat, including a doctored bat or a bat with additional weight shall be called out and disqualified from further tournament competition for a minimum of one year. ASA shall have the right to take possession of a bat that is, in the sole discretion of the Tournament Committee, reasonably suspected to be an altered bat. In the event the suspected altered bat is tested and determined to be an altered bat, then the player shall surrender ownership of the altered bat to ASA; otherwise the bat shall be returned to the player. A team that is discovered to have within its possession or control an altered bat may be disqualified from further tournament competition.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2011
West Barstow, Ca
redhotcoach...thanx! The thought crossed my mind. Its good for people to know. We take so much garage BP that i feel our bats get broken in quick. 500 hits come fast. I just remind the girls to turn the bat every 10 or so hits.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
How is impacting a softball bat with a softball a "foreign object"??? what difference does it make if you hit a softball 500 times in practice which could possibly take months.....or do it over several days, rotating the bat and breaking in the bat over its entire length to ensure it is broken in evenly by hand with a softball?

I find it VERY hard to believe that this would be termed illegal by the wording of the above posted rule.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
MORE wording for the unbelievers:
ASA considers ABI processes to be a form of bat doctoring[4] and holds that bats must meet the 98-mph performance standard at any time........
Barrel rolling.....
Barrel compression.....
CompressHammer/Mallet Treatment

The Hammer/Mallet technique is often used by players on their own bats. As the name implies it simply involves hitting the barrel of the bat with a hard rubber mallet, or a ball mallet made by fixing a softball to a handle. There is even a commercially available Bat HammerTM for breaking in bats. One strikes the barrel of the bat along the entire length of the barrel, and around its circumference. The strength of an impact that a player can impart with a rubber mallet is nowhere near the force of impact between bat and ball (unless you can generate several thousand pounds of force), so this technique does not cause damage to the bat barrel like the other techniques mentioned above. I have tested several bats that were broken-in with the Bat HammerTM and have detected a noticeable improvement in performance without the degredation in durability.

-from kettering edu article on bat doctoring.

Apr 1, 2010
what difference does it make if you hit a softball 500 times in practice which could possibly take months.....or do it over several days, rotating the bat and breaking in the bat over its entire length to ensure it is broken in evenly by hand with a softball?

I see it a little differently. DD takes hundreds of swings a week (so it definitely wouldn't take months, lol) and other than in games, she's not terribly excited about it. However, she does get enthusiastic about breaking in a new bat and is eager to do extra work. To me that's one of the big plusses of getting her a new stick. If I beat on it with a mallet, I'd be taking all that excitement and extra practice away from her.

Dec 18, 2010
redhotcoach is correct in the rules but detecting a hammered or rolled bat is near impossible. Usually when we do our pre-game bat inspections we look that it is an asa bat, round, cracks, etc. I'll look at the 2-piece connections by one hand at the knob and the other just below the connection and shake vigorously looking for tightness. The end cap for separation or deformities. The only bat I pulled in over 100 games last year post inspection was an SRV4B that really sounded differently than the other ones on the same team,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi