Dumb question amnesty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
I have a youth aluminum alloy bat and the end cap is rotating in the barrel, it has not popped out just you can spin inside barrel. Is that ok or do i have to remove and clean and reglue

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
This bat probably shouldn't be used if that is the case.

...and by rule (ASA) if you remove and re glue the end cap, you have altered the bat and rendered it illegal for use.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
While technically they are probably right but it's an aluminum bat and the stamps are right I don't see a problem until an official says something. I'm assuming this bat is used in a very young age group 10 u or younger and probably rec league. If you haven't attempted to alter it use it till it gets thrown out. It not like you can shave an aluminum bat and get some where great with it. JMO

Sep 28, 2015
Its not altered and it was use in 6u season and 8u season, and practicing at home and at her hitting coach, and no telling what she hit while outside when i am not looking. Should i do something about the endcap being able to spin or just leave it alone and wait till it falls out. The bat is the 50 dollar louisville quest from 2014.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
While technically they are probably right but it's an aluminum bat and the stamps are right I don't see a problem until an official says something. I'm assuming this bat is used in a very young age group 10 u or younger and probably rec league. If you haven't attempted to alter it use it till it gets thrown out. It not like you can shave an aluminum bat and get some where great with it. JMO

Actually, you are violating the rules. The officials checking equipment is basically a courtesy as to prevent the player from getting into a bad game situation. An official not catching an altered/illegal piece of equipment does not provide absolution.

BTW, aluminum bats can and have been shaved. It doesn't have the same effect and probably does more harm to the bat than any possible advantage gained (and there isn't much).

yep just reglue it clean it up it will be fine.

By rule, it is not "fine". Any time an end cap comes loose, it is considered not in compliance with the rule. As part of the agreement with ASA, the manufacturer has agreed to provide a bat with a cap (should it have one) which will stay in place throughout it's life. If it does come off or loose, only the manufacturer can legally replace it.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
Ok I here what you are yelling from the soap box but let be realalistic this is probably rec low level ball he's asking about an aluminum bat dead giveaways. If he reglues the end cap and makes no attempt to alter which obviously isn't his intention where is the harm? His girl finish with her ALUMINUM BAT! What damage can she do? So rule guru is there no compassion for those that may need to make equipment last? I'm just asking where is the harm done other than he asked on a discussion post.

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas City
Glue the cap use the bat don't alter it and if some crazy official gets uppity just explain yourself and move on no need to replace it. I wouldn't recommend the same with a composite. Then again if you're honest about it then no harm done relax its just a bat. You're not going to jail over it just don't roll or shave it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC