Duke TIP 7th Grade Talent Search?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
FYI - my DD- who is now a HS senior did TIP after 7th grade. She went to the Marine Lab program and had the time of her life. It's an incredible academic opportunity - which should be BY FAR your first priority. No college will ever see that SAT test as it is not "officially" reported. If you can afford it - do it, it's worth missing a couple of weeks of Summer ball.

Apr 1, 2010
FYI - my DD- who is now a HS senior did TIP after 7th grade. She went to the Marine Lab program and had the time of her life. It's an incredible academic opportunity - which should be BY FAR your first priority. No college will ever see that SAT test as it is not "officially" reported. If you can afford it - do it, it's worth missing a couple of weeks of Summer ball.

Marine Lab? One of the career paths that DD keeps mentioning is marine biology. And here we are in the Midwest--1K+ miles from either coast! She would be over the moon.

Apr 1, 2010
Duke TIP has been around for quite some time, as has the Johns Hopkins CTY program. I took the SAT in 7th grade through CTY a long, long time ago, and my older two took the SAT in 7th as well (youngest is only in 3rd grade, but she'll take it in 7th). I just signed them up online as our school no longer notifies parents if their child has a "qualifying" score on a standardized test.

If you are in a grade lower than 9th, the College Board wipes out your scores in June/July unless you let them know you want to keep the score (don't know why you would want to). It is a good idea to take it just to get an idea of the type of questions and the length of the test, as the PSAT is considerably shorter.

My kids did not attend any of the CTY camps, though I suggested to my middle kid that she might want to go. It would interfere with travel ball.

Whether or not to take the SAT right after taking geometry depends upon when you take geometry. My eldest didn't take geometry until 9th, but I still wouldn't want her to take SATs right after freshman year. My middle kid took geometry in 8th grade - she certainly will score higher on the SATs if she waits until at least 10th.

My kids were not thrilled that I signed them up, but if your daughter wants to do it, she certainly should. It is interesting to see the scores compared to college bound high school seniors - though you may question the future of this country when you see your 7th grader score higher than the average HS senior.

Yes, she's eager to take the test. LOL, I think it's the thrill of competition. ---Oooo, another venue to go out and kick some hind ends!

I'm very interested to see how her scores compare to those of college bound high school students.

I think the whole family expects her to eat up the verbal section. She's worried about the math, but I told her that if she concentrates on getting the problems she CAN do done correctly, she'll probably do just fine. It's sad how many people mess up ordinary arithmetic operations.

She wants us to help her prep for the test, which would given the responses here probably means DH and I should teach her some Geometry over Christmas break. I imagine we can, but I'm not sure whether that will cause issues down the road with her school's instruction plan.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My daughter took the TIP in 7th grade. Make sure she understands the parameters
of testing. If memory serves(mine isn't great) not answering a question she doesn't know
is better than guessing and answering wrong. There is not a single downside that I have seen
and she will be taking the SAT this year (sophomore) as well as next year as a junior

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy