Dropped third strike....on appeal?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
This was a strange one I witnessed and honestly have never seen before and don't know the ruling. I will try to explain the best I can but multiple things were going on and I wasn't paying that close attention. This was a high school game.

Count on batter is 1 ball, 2 strikes. 1 out. First base open. 2 runners in scoring (2/3) position.

Pitcher pitches the ball and batter checks her swing (on a ball in the dirt). HPU called the pitch a ball.

Catcher stands up, and starts walking towards the pitcher and pointing to umpire at short to appeal the call. HPU stands up, and he too starts walking while pointing to umpire at short.

I want to say the catcher and HPU are near the circle when the second umpire (finally) makes his decision to call a swing. While all this is going on, the batter, who initially did not run, has now started running towards first. Runner makes it to first and is called safe. I honestly don't recall if the defense made a throw to first or not.

I didn't see if time-out was called or not. I don't think it was. So, dropped third was "in effect", batter made it to first, but based on an appeal. Some were arguing that the appeal process makes it a dead ball and thus the batter/runner couldn't advance. I don't know that to be true.

I really wish I could find video of this play but have been unable to do so.

Any comments? Was this the right ruling?

Jan 8, 2019
Saw this in a MLB clip the other day (not sure how old it was). It was a live ball appeal there. Batter ran just in case the appeal was successful, and it was, and he was safe. If it were unsuccessful, he would just have been recalled.

Although I could not cite the rule, I would think it would have to be the same in all sanctions for this very reason. If it were a dead ball apeal, then the D3K opportunity would be removed for the batter.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
the way it played out is correct. The ball is NOT dead on appeal.

That being said, as an umpire (both PU and BU) you have to be ready for this situation all of the time. Dropped third and a half-swing? As the PU, you either call it a strike or you go for help IMMEDIATELY. As the BU you need to be anticipating that your partner is going to be coming to you for help and be ready to rule "yes she did" or "no she didn't" right away.

A mechanics note for the umpires among us. When you go for help, point to your partner with your left hand, even when they are in the A position (at 1b) so that no one can be confused that you are calling a strike or an out.

May 20, 2015
we had similar earlier in the year, DD2 is a catcher and discussed with the umpire in between innings.......3-2 pitch in the dirt, plate umpire called it a check, ball 4.......she got the appeal and no swing, but runner was at first already on the walk......so she asked him what she should have done.....he said make the tag/make the throw to first, then ask for the appeal

Jul 22, 2015
I always coached my catchers to make the tag on a check swing just in case. As an umpiring note, I hate going to my partner in the field for a RH check swing when he's in C slot (near SS), so I will generally make that call myself and let it stand. He can't see it any better than I can at the plate, and it generally will take a moment for him to see me ask because he is watching the runner(s).

May 16, 2012
Missouri
the way it played out is correct. The ball is NOT dead on appeal.

That being said, as an umpire (both PU and BU) you have to be ready for this situation all of the time. Dropped third and a half-swing? As the PU, you either call it a strike or you go for help IMMEDIATELY. As the BU you need to be anticipating that your partner is going to be coming to you for help and be ready to rule "yes she did" or "no she didn't" right away.

A mechanics note for the umpires among us. When you go for help, point to your partner with your left hand, even when they are in the A position (at 1b) so that no one can be confused that you are calling a strike or an out.
I was taught to go to partner with right hand because you pull the mask off before asking your partner. You always pull mask off with left hand.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I was taught to go to partner with right hand because you pull the mask off before asking your partner. You always pull mask off with left hand.
Ands you can point to your partner with your mask in your left hand. I am not saying that right hand is wrong, using the left hand is certainly a matter of association/assigner/supervisor preference and positively eliminates any potential misunderstanding of what the extended right arm is indicating

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I had a similar play earlier this season on a dropped strike 3. I picked up the ball and tagged the runner out. But you could throw the ball to first, too. But the ball remains as live.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles