Dropped 3rd Strike Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 22, 2012
Pardon my ignorance on this question, but we just moved up from 8U coach pitch and learning the new rules...

Had first scrimmage for our rec team last night. We are pitching, 2 outs, runner on 3rd. My pitcher strikes out the batter, but the 3rd strike was pretty wild (not even sure why the batter swung except that its rec). My catcher quickly retrieves the ball and throws the runner out at first; however, before she can get her out at first, the runner on third crosses home plate.

Other coach declares that run counts. It's a scrimmage and he's a good friend, but this doesn't add up to me and I say something about it. My thinking is that even if 3rd strike is dropped, it is still a force play at first; therefore, it would be the same as if she had hit a ground ball to my shortstop and was thrown out at first. Even though run crossed plate, it doesn't count. Our umpire (actually the league president) agreed with me, but clearly said that he didn't really know.

So am I on target or way off here?

Thx

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
First off, think of it as 3rd strike not caught. Too many times I have seen catchers scoop it on a hop and their coach argues she never dropped it. As for your question, the batter just struck out for the 3rd out. Because the catcher dropped it, they now must finish the play and get the batter-runner out by tagging her our throwing to 1st to finish the strike out. This is not a timing play, so no run scores. In this case, you have a good friend and a scrimmage. No harm, no foul. In a meaningful game, protest any such call.

On a side note, it's not a force at first because there are no runners behind forcing the batter-runner to vacate her base.. The umpire boards like to discuss that ad-nausea.

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks for the help. Little confused though. It's not a force, so does she have to be tagged out or just throw to first and touch bag?

Feb 7, 2013
I guess technically its a put out not a force out but you can either tag the batter/baserunner or step on first base.

Jun 22, 2008
No run can score if the 3rd out of an inning is a force play or if the batter/runner is put out prior to safely reaching 1st base. And no, by strict definition the batter/runner is not a force play at 1st. A force is the result a player losing the right to occupy a base because the batter/runner is advancing to 1st. The batter/runner is not being forced to run to 1st.

Dec 22, 2012
Ok. So I basically had it correct except that it's not technically a force.

Thanks for the help.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ok. So I basically had it correct except that it's not technically a force.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, take the out early in games in 10U on the dropped third strike even if the run scores (work on throwing straight back to catcher to make the play). Take the out on the 2-base walk as well (work on making it a double play).

Nothing worse than lots of ducks on the ponds and you STILL don't have outs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes