Dropped 3rd strike drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
What are drills some of you use when introducing D3K to 10u players, offense and defense?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Players: 1st base; catcher, pitcher, and batter/baserunner (helmet, no bat).

Drill:

- pitcher, pitches ball outside
- batter "swings"
- catcher lets pitched ball get past her,
- batter runs to 1st
- 1st baseman sets up on the orange safety bag side in foul territory (allowed per ASA rules)
- catcher throws down to 1st base in attempt to beat the batter/baserunner.

What I like about this drill is that it gets all the key offensive and defensive players involved in the play.

Also make sure to get your catchers in the habit of tagging the batter/baserunner on any close caught and uncaught third strikes. If you don't have to make the throw to 1st base, why risk it. Too many bad things can go wrong at this age, especially with runners on base.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Players: 1st base; catcher, pitcher, and batter/baserunner (helmet, no bat).

Drill:

- pitcher, pitches ball outside
- batter "swings"
- catcher lets pitched ball get past her,
- batter runs to 1st
- 1st baseman sets up on the orange safety bag side in foul territory (allowed per ASA rules)
- catcher throws down to 1st base in attempt to beat the batter/baserunner.

What I like about this drill is that it gets all the key offensive and defensive players involved in the play.

Also make sure to get your catchers in the habit of tagging the batter/baserunner on any close caught and uncaught third strikes. If you don't have to make the throw to 1st base, why risk it. Too many bad things can go wrong at this age, especially with runners on base.

I normally remove the pitcher and just have a coach randomly throw the ball on the ground to simulate the dropped 3rd strike (most of them are not on wild pitches - just straight drops). I do like to include a RF to do back ups and also a SS/2nd to cover 2nd (if the catcher messes up the throw I want to practice the backup/throw to second to have a chance on getting the runner trying to take the extra base).

I do the same set up for bunts as well with a full infield in place.

Remember to rotate the runners regularly. If you are doing this intensely they should get tired.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Teach the pitcher to throw harder. I know the only time my dd has problems holding pitches is with our slower pitchers.

Drills????? 1. Uh pick up ball, tag batter. 2. Pick up ball, throw to 1st base.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24