drop 3rd strike?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
There has to be something missing from this story. You later say, 'That's what EVERYONE thought,' but the umpire and the other team's coach and bench apparently thought otherwise. We need video. :)

When I said "that's what everyone thought" I meant our team, coaches and parents. Thats why the coach called time to bring the blues together to question the call. We (our team) expected the right call to be made (3rd out). That wasn't the case

Like I mentioned earlier, the batter was confused and just stood there after the 3rd strike. Blue made a hand gesture as to move along now. DD had already stood up and waited a couple seconds. Not until the batter made her way to the dugout did DD attempt to pass the ball back to the pitcher and dropped it. Someone on the otherside saw it and there was 1 loud yell "RUN, GO TO 1st!" Then all hell broke out with both sides. In the end Home Plate Ump hollered to our side "Its my call!" And that was that.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Thanks guys, I've read more on it and I'm certain now the wrong call was made. I just wasn't sure if there was a measurable amount of time a catcher needed to hold onto the ball. Its almost a judgment call on the blue I guess. I sure in all the excitement the blue dropped the ball on the call and maybe he didn't know for sure or didn't want to admit fault in a big game. I know the blues are only human and they sometimes even get it wrong in the majors so it's just what it is.

Mar 2, 2013
The play as described is not logical. It is not logical for a catcher, regardless of experience, to hold a ball for ten seconds. It is not logical that the umpires didn't just move to their between innings positions after the third out was recorded. It is not logical that the defenders stayed at their positions ten seconds after the third out was recorded. It is not logical to think that 3 umpires failed to see a player possess the ball for 10 seconds. It is not logical that the defensive coach didn't call his players in. It is not logical that the umpires didn't just call the batter out.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Another reason NOT to refer to it as a dropped 3rd strike. Call it "3rd strike not caught." The first question that needs to be answered, "did she catch the pitch before it hit the ground?" If yes, it doesn't matter what happens afterward.

Jan 20, 2009
Another reason NOT to refer to it as a dropped 3rd strike. Call it "3rd strike not caught." The first question that needs to be answered, "did she catch the pitch before it hit the ground?" If yes, it doesn't matter what happens afterward.

"3rd strike not caught" is equally inaccurate. Because it was "caught".
There is no 3-4 word phrase I can think of that would be intuitively obvious, covering all possibilities, short of the full wording of the rule itself. Maybe "Dropped or Grounded 3rd Strike", but that is 5 words.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
"3rd strike not caught" is equally inaccurate. Because it was "caught".
There is no 3-4 word phrase I can think of that would be intuitively obvious, covering all possibilities, short of the full wording of the rule itself. Maybe "Dropped or Grounded 3rd Strike", but that is 5 words.

Exactly, it was caught before it hit the ground. You just verified what I was saying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30