Drills to encourage hitting through the ball, not around the body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not sure how else to put it, thought it was a pretty common term ?

She is not keeping the barrel square through contact, instead it is already starting to close.

It probably is but I don't know what it means. I'm not an expert anyway and so, maybe someone can help. Good luck.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
We have a set up that uses an upright noddle that is a little behind and outside the ball to get her hand path going inside and out/through. Coming across the ball usually starts early in the bat path. Using a noddle gives instant feed back if her hands get away from her body and pull across it.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
This works good for proper hand path.

chuckit-ultra-ball-launcher1.jpg

Mar 28, 2014
Did the 2 tee drill with her this afternoon and it worked very well. It enabled her to feel what hitting through the ball felt like compared to swinging around her body. Saw some pretty immediate results during front toss. Worked a little on hitting to the opposite field as well. Appreciate the tips everyone.

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
I do think you should look at better identifying what the issue is...could be several things but I would first look at the back of the zone vs the front of the zone. Is she casting her hands away from the body early in the swing? Is she over rotating her hips or upper body and pulling the bat out of the zone prematurely? I like the idea of front toss hitting to the away field (a RH batter hitting to RF)...or angle toss where you are doing front toss but from a position maybe halfway between the pitching plate and the first baseline (again assuming RH batter). Both will help keep your hands inside the ball. If the issue is casting the hands away. I think of the two tee drill more to focus on extension through contact...if the issue is pulling away from the zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00