Draft Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Here is a dilemma we are encountering and I would like to read the opinions of the fine folks on this board:
Rec-ball league 14u evaluations and draft is coming up soon. As a league, we like to split the pitchers and catchers equitably amongst the teams first, and then draft the rest of the players. In discussions tonight, a manager stated that the 2nd ranked pitcher in the division has told her that she no longer wants to pitch and no amount of persuasion from her or her mother can change her mind. The board has not received any such indication from the player or the player's mother. I have heard of some leagues placing restrictions on such players, up to and including prohibiting them from pitching in that season if they go into the draft as a non-pitcher as a way to prevent managers from manipulating the draft. What are your opinions on this?

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Our Rec league does it in a similar way. Let's say there are 10 teams in the age bracket. We rank the top 10 pitchers and they are picked in round 1 regardless if they want to pitch or not. In our league, if she was one of the top pitchers, she would have to go in round 1. Weather she pitches or not is up to her. We've had a few over the years, late sign-up and miss the try-out. They are randomly put on teams and the coaches have no say.

Jun 24, 2013
Do the best you can to figure out what she wants to do this season but if she wants to pitch later, let her pitch. I have players go through this.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This issue seems to come up in our league as well from time to time. We restricted the "no longer wanting to pitch player" from pitching since the coach was able to pick up a "pitcher" in the draft. Fast forward a few games into the season. The drafted pitcher is having all kinds of accuracy issues, and the girl that is restricted wants to pitch now. We all know that pitchers are competitive and can't stand to lose. Once the game is either won or lost we allowed the girl to pitch.

Looking back we should have let her pitch anyway. What did we learn? Girls are fickle at this age. Dad has no more influence. Why not let her pitch if the desire comes backs? It would have helped the league and her with her love of the game. No one benefits from a walkathon. The opposing team does not get to hit and the fielders are left staring at the dirt. Coaches get in to gamesmanship tactics during the draft and no one really knows what is going on the coaches or players head. You have to do your best and most of all: Do what is best for the player, especially if you know that she has a talent and that it might spring board her into high school or TB.

All the Best. We have 14U tryouts next week.

Oct 24, 2012
My initial thought is.. If you have a girl that has pitched in a game, you go to the back of the pitcher draft order. If you have a girl who no longer wants to pitch for your team, that is just bad luck for you. Tell that coach to remember its rec ball and its about coaching, not winning.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with James. Try to find out the players true thoughts and work something out. I know from experience that this can cause issues down the road. A few years ago, our little rec organization had two pitchers at the age level I coached at. One was my DD. The other was her best friend. We had 21 girls sign up for the age group, so we decided to make two teams. The BFs parents told the league president that their DD wanted to play on my team and would quit if forced to play for the other team. The president gave in and I ended up with the top 2 pitchers and the top catcher. I personally didn't care, but the other coach was furious and blamed the situation on me. The league president tried to explain the situation but the other coach was friends of the other family, and could not believe they would make such a request. He assumed it had to be something I did to manipulate the draft. Ended up being an ugly situation... It has been said before, but rec leagues typically include a great deal of politics. Personally I try to avoid that, if at all possible.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I agree with James. Try to find out the players true thoughts and work something out. I know from experience that this can cause issues down the road. A few years ago, our little rec organization had two pitchers at the age level I coached at. One was my DD. The other was her best friend. We had 21 girls sign up for the age group, so we decided to make two teams. The BFs parents told the league president that their DD wanted to play on my team and would quit if forced to play for the other team. The president gave in and I ended up with the top 2 pitchers and the top catcher. I personally didn't care, but the other coach was furious and blamed the situation on me. The league president tried to explain the situation but the other coach was friends of the other family, and could not believe they would make such a request. He assumed it had to be something I did to manipulate the draft. Ended up being an ugly situation... It has been said before, but rec leagues typically include a great deal of politics. Personally I try to avoid that, if at all possible.

Interesting dilemma.

You say that rec leagues typically include a great deal of politics. I would say that this was a case of it - letting a player choose her team, resulting in one team being much better than the other. Did the president make it known to all players and parents that they could put forth this kind of special request? If not, that's more politics. I would think the league president's job is to work toward having even teams, not accommodating the wishes of one family/player.

I'm not judging you in this situation. I just think this is an interesting case that comes up in leagues. If I had 21 players, and only two pitchers, one of whom would not play unless paired with the other pitcher, I then think I would have 20 players.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Interesting dilemma.

You say that rec leagues typically include a great deal of politics. I would say that this was a case of it - letting a player choose her team, resulting in one team being much better than the other. Did the president make it known to all players and parents that they could put forth this kind of special request? If not, that's more politics. I would think the league president's job is to work toward having even teams, not accommodating the wishes of one family/player.

I'm not judging you in this situation. I just think this is an interesting case that comes up in leagues. If I had 21 players, and only two pitchers, one of whom would not play unless paired with the other pitcher, I then think I would have 20 players.

You will get no argument from me... At the time, my only concern was allowing the young girls to play (11 years old). Looking back on it, I wished something else was done. That was my purpose for sharing the story. Hopefully someone else will not find themselves in that same situation. If it can be avoided, avoid it!

I am sure there are some well run rec leagues out there, but the ones I am familiar with have this type of drama...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The league needs to do what it can, to develop more pitchers. But, all girls need to remain eligible to pitch. It is rec and they are kids.
Are they holding pitching clinics?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
All that said, if I'd been the opposing coach, while I'm sure I would've complained, once it's final, then you make the best of it. It's just a game, and these are 11-year-olds. The last 10U team that I coached went something like 0-11-1. We had the same talent as everybody else - except no pitcher (and perhaps a mediocre coach, since I could NOT win a close game to save my life). But a lot of girls got a chance to pitch, and many kids would rather try their hands at pitching (horribly) than win at that age. Three girls who pitched on that team are now playing travel ball at a high level - although absolutely not as pitchers. :) But I still say the president or league needs to make 'even' teams a higher priority than making one family/kid happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan