Do we need a sports psychologist?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2018
NY
May I respectfully suggest that You just drop her off and not go to her games or practice! I'm with Texas Heat, you need to back off--I know you are saying you don't initiate it the softball conversations and you aren't the loony parent but if you are "about to lose your mind" over this, you probably are part of the problem.

I am not judging you, just saying that this is a game that really isn't all that important in the grand scheme of life and this kid needs to see that you aren't hovering at every game and practice and watching her all the time. Let her see you enjoying your own interests. When you pick her up, tell her what YOU did during that time. Don't even ask about her slapping adventures.

Just a suggestion.

Jul 29, 2016
I think you should look up how much a sports psychologists costs for maybe three sessions and then spend that much on lessons for your daughter so she can learn to hit how she wants to hit. She'll be a huge asset to a team if she can slap, bunt, and hit for power.

Feb 3, 2016
I've had my own issues with the DD.
Softball doesn't define a person.

That was the first thing I starting telling her.

I got around the perfection angle by telling her that school is more important than sports and had her picking up a musical instrument.

The instrument worked for the perfection angle but that's backfired as she seems to have mastered one instrument by praticing every single day and is now going for probably the most expensive thing ever created for band.

Not sure if the therapist direction would cost more or not at this point.

When she was younger I tried Legos but quickly ran through sets up to $150.00. Last time we talked about LEGO sets this is what she wanted. Lol
8962967c60d2d9f2a4abab230ee72144.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
This year in HS she is lead off. She refuses to slap. She wants to hit away.
Your daughter previously batted 2nd for (2 years? 4 years?), now admits "she's scared", and the coach is intense.

I suspect that the level of expectation from her coach may in reality differ greatly from the expectations in her head. As in much lower.

Has she asked the coach what's actually expected of her this year? Batting 2nd on a good team may be giving her the cover she feels she needs to succeed. Batting 1st on a team where she's now the most experienced player may be introducing a self-imposed pressure to assume more of a leadership role on the team than she's comfortable with.

Ask her for her opinion of what a team leader looks like. If she implies anything along the lines of "leaders don't slap", then you may have found your answer. Or at least, found the starting point to start looking for the answer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00