Disturbing Comment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sorry, but the having to have a woman around is like the TSA at the airport. it doesn't really address the major risks but it makes people feel better because someone did something that appears to be based on security.

May 13, 2012
Hate that times have changed and we have to worry about that. I have parents drop of girls for practice and they are the first one there plus DD. They ask how long practice will be then leave. It makes me feel good that they trust me to take care of their DD and as long as my DD is there I don't think a thing about it (much). One time DD had virus and I showed up with out her at school gym for inside practice. Mom showed left DD and just me. Make no mistake I was on the phone to AC telling him to hurry the heck up. I was uncomfortable with that one make no mistake. While 99.9999% coachs would not do anything and 99.999% players/parents would not make a false accusation as someone mentioned all it takes is one and you are ruined even if innocent.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD coaches have always been men, and I have been an AC for several years now, and we avoid any potential issues by making sure there are always multiple adults present (two coaches or a coach and a parent). As the girls have gotten older we are OK as long as there are multiple players present. Just avoid any situations where something inappropriate could happen. Unfortunately it is just the world we now live in. Just recently there was a coach arrested in GA for sending 'inappropriate' text messages to one of his former players, so someone with a devious mind can get into trouble even with a 'team mom'......

Mar 31, 2012
another way to limit potential trouble is to eliminate any and all physical contact - such as demonstrating an arm positions and such - except for physical contact which everyone will recognize as absolutely necessary - such as gripping the players face mask in your fist and peering in at them and exclaiming "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!"

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
I do not know how it is where you guys are but our rec coaches here have to show that you have had First Aide and CPR. If you do not have these than the league has a calendar of when and where you can take these classes. The other thing they do is a background check on you. If there are any red flags than you can not coach.

There is a rule that me and the AC have for the team. Always two coaches at a practice. If you are running a drill and someone gets hurt and you have to take them to the ER because the parent is not there. You need another coach to stay at the field with the other kids.

With that said. What if the tables were turned? What if a woman was coaching the boys baseball team? Should she need a team Dad there at all times? The bottom line is if you are worried about a coach, stay and watch practices. The thing that I hate more than anything is the parents that think I am a babysitter. Like Amy said, they fly in, drop off the kids then come back late. I make it a point to be there with the kids when they show up and ask if is ever going to happen again.

By the way Amy. I hope you charged for those extra minutes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd