Difficult Parents - how to handle?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I think they mean that email can be easily misunderstood. I've had that experience as well. People have various levels of reading comprehension, plus you can write something one way which can be interpreted a different way because the reader can't tell what your tone is. I remember writing a note as a teenager I thought was dripping with sarcasm, only to have the recipient think I was being genuine (I was being a little punk at the time so that was for the best but still).

Apr 1, 2010
Be willing to cut NOW (no bluffing, no take backs) if necessary because it shows you are not putting up with this - which may help with parents who are on the fence on whether they are staying or not for next season (and there probably are because they don't want to deal with dram parent either).

I wanted to emphasize this. You can easily lose half your team by trying to put up with a difficult parent. The OP mentioned in a later post that several sets of parents have complained. That is very dangerous IMO. Look at it from their point of view. Other parents in the stands don't know that you've been working on these particular parents trying to get them to behave. All they're going to see is this cancer that's not going away.

marriard said:
Be willing to cut NOW (no bluffing, no take backs) if necessary because it shows you are not putting up with this - which may help with parents who are on the fence on whether they are staying or not for next season (and there probably are because they don't want to deal with dram parent either).
I wanted to emphasize this. You can easily lose half your team by trying to put up with a difficult parent. The OP mentioned in a later post that several sets of parents have complained. That is very dangerous IMO. Look at it from their point of view. Other parents in the stands don't know that you've been working on these particular parents trying to get them to behave. All they're going to see is this cancer that's not going away.
I didn't read all the responses so this may have already been said:

Forget stats. Forget the kid's performance. Make it about the parents.

In person or over the phone:

"I love Katy and wish she could be on my team forever. But I can't have you and your disruptions here so I am letting her go. I'll do the math and see if you have any refunds coming. You'll see a response from me on that subject via email soon."

Case closed. No further discussion required.
Perhaps I didn't emphasize it enough, either. If you have parents complaining, you must do it now.

Jul 13, 2015
Ok, so I've had a few days to cool off. We are going to do this, in person, after Wednesday's practice.

I tend to overthink and over complicate things. I'm glad I wrote the original email because it helped me have a clear mind.

We did bring in a kid who was better - but she was filling a spot for another kid who's parent pulled her in the middle of the winter because of academics. It wasn't intentional to replace the girl with a better player. In fact, our new player had never been a catcher before this season. But she is just a natural.

We have a handful of practices and two tourneys left in this season. Frankly, we won't miss kid in question if her parents decide to cut ties with us now.

Thanks everyone.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Ok, so I've had a few days to cool off. We are going to do this, in person, after Wednesday's practice.

I tend to overthink and over complicate things. I'm glad I wrote the original email because it helped me have a clear mind.

We did bring in a kid who was better - but she was filling a spot for another kid who's parent pulled her in the middle of the winter because of academics. It wasn't intentional to replace the girl with a better player. In fact, our new player had never been a catcher before this season. But she is just a natural.

We have a handful of practices and two tourneys left in this season. Frankly, we won't miss kid in question if her parents decide to cut ties with us now.

Thanks everyone.

Everything ok?? Are you in the hospital ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00