Demarini CF3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
This discussion comes up every couple of years. Some years back the Anderson Rep, Nate used to post on Eteamz and a few other sites. On one post about this very subject he stated, " They, Anderson Reps, took a brand new bat that had just passed ASA 98mph testing and aggressivly rolled it in the ASA testing facility parking lot. The exit speed jumped to 107mph, but the bat broke in about 50 swings.

Feb 14, 2010
Rob,

You are nuts if you think a broken in bats sounds the same as a rolled bat. A broken in bat cracks where as a rolled bats sounds almost like the old titanium bats. If you feel it's OK to roll a bat then fine, but it's flat out cheating in my opinion. If it's OK why are the slowpitch associations confiscating bats if the pitcher gets hit and has to leave the game? It's obvious that you have never played ball at a high level / or you cheated to get there or you would see the problem. Personally I've seen grown men, friends of mine, with phenomenal reflexes get carted off the field and driven to the hospital to get their face fixed all because of someone later on being proved a cheat.

It's wrong and against the rules for a reason, CAUSE IT'S DANGEROUS.

Oct 19, 2009
My only concern is for the safety, of the players whether it is a young lady or an adult male. I think anyone would agree that the faster a ball comes off the bat the increase of the player not being able to react fast enough to protect themselves.

I admit, that I have no personal experience with altered bats. If leagues officials banned this practice then there must be a reason.

Sep 3, 2009
Not trying to argue with you, but figured I'd clear a few things up...

Rob, You are nuts if you think a broken in bats sounds the same as a rolled bat. A broken in bat cracks where as a rolled bats sounds almost like the old titanium bats.

Not every composite bat sounds the same. My dd's Phenix sounds completely different than any synergy I've ever heard. Different again, from Mikens.

If you feel it's OK to roll a bat then fine, but it's flat out cheating in my opinion.

I didn't see him say that at all, he explained the rolling process. Many people do not understand what it really is.

If it's OK why are the slowpitch associations confiscating bats if the pitcher gets hit and has to leave the game?

To check the bat, and they very well should. I think it's a good idea for ANY player's bat to be checked; but mostly before a tournament, and ESPECIALLY after a batted ball injury.

It's obvious that you have never played ball at a high level / or you cheated to get there or you would see the problem.

Seriously?? That's petty.

Personally I've seen grown men, friends of mine, with phenomenal reflexes get carted off the field and driven to the hospital to get their face fixed all because of someone later on being proved a cheat.

I've seen several girls carried off fields, from batted ball injuries. Most of the ones I saw were off of aluminum bats. I am sure cheating is prevalent in softball, but It's disproportionately higher in men's slowpitch.

It's wrong and against the rules for a reason, CAUSE IT'S DANGEROUS.

I agree with you totally, it is wrong, and it's wrong because it alters the bat (premature breakin); which is against the rules. But I think you're confusing rolling and shaving. Rolling is just a lazy person's way to get peak performance quickly, without having to hit hundreds or thousands of balls to achieve break-in. It's the quick gratification thing.

Feb 14, 2010
Trust me when I say this, I know the difference between rolling a bat and shaving one. You can swing a bat a 1,000 times and it will never break in the way a rolled bat does, plain and simple. As for you saying my comment was petty, that's your opinion and I respect it, but I've had very close friends get seriously lit up by people using rolled and shaved bats and it BS. Either put the work in and do it right or don't play. There is no gray area to me. I take this BS very seriously because I've seen the repurcussions first hand and it's not pretty.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Other than hitting thousands of balls, what is the best way to break in a new bat. I have heard the warm cloth wrapped around a bat then whacking it with a mallet a few hundred times. No idea if that works. Just bought a new CF3 Black. Refuse to get it rolled etc but would like to break it in. Any legal ideas?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I've never heard a good way to break in a bat other than hitting thousands of balls. To me, breaking in a bat is half the fun. I get to see what I can do with it, you know? I certainly wouldn't take a mallet to a bat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55