Defending the runner at second

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Runner at second, what is the best way to defend the stolen base and the bunt?

Shortstop cover third? If so, how much should the shortstop cheat toward third? Any tips for the shortstop in that situation?

Or should the third baseman cover third, leaving only pitcher and first baseman to cover the bunt?

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
I am going to assume that there are ZERO outs in this situation. If there was one out, we would go to first for the second out and give up 3rd. We've started teaching the girls to take note of the runners speed because that can make the difference of even trying for the tag play at 3rd. That is one of the toughest plays to make on the field. Unless a fielder (1st or 3rd) gets the ball instantly on the bunt, you pretty much have no shot at making the play. Even a bunt up the middle to the pitcher, you're probably not making the play at 3rd. We've had some success (read as getting lucky) when we go to first on the bunt and then immediately throw to 3rd. We've seemed to get that girl hung up after she rounds 3rd too far or tag her trying to get back. You have to work on it in practice and you must really trust your 1st baseman - most times they are playing there because they can catch, not throw!

I think our normal defense ends up being get the out at first and hope for a strike out on the next batter!!;)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks, Dave. ... But my question isn't where to throw the ball when fielded. It's who covers what base, particularly third base.

With a runner on second, you have to defend against the steal and the bunt.

Do you want your SS covering third? That steal play is tough for the SS.

Or do you leave your 3B back to cover third, which means only two players charge the bunt?

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
We usually have SS cover 3rd. Our 3B has a rocket arm and good glove - pretty aggressive to the ball too. Sometimes we crash both 1st & 3rd and have CF cover 2nd. The only time we leave 3B to cover 3rd is on a force out, and run a play looking for that out. As far as before the bunt, depends on SS. Like most teams, your SS is often your most athletic, smartest, and fastest players - so ours has pretty good timing on moving toward 3rd when she see the batter turn for the bunt. With a slapper up, she has to read bat position (bunt or slap) and react accordingly.

Dec 3, 2008
Depends how good your pitching and defense is. I like what Dave said; it depends on the # of outs. With 0 outs, the offense is most likely to bunt to move that runner to 3B, so then you'd play both your corners down and have the SS cover if there were a steal to third. With 1 or 2 outs, the offense is more likely to try to take third with a steal, in which case you want the 3B to cover so there's no footrace for a defensive player to win. What if they bunt with one out? They may -- this game is always about giving something up to cover something else more efficiently. And it goes back to my first point; it depends on how good your pitching and defense is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd