Decisions, decisions...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
Ok, so my DD has been using the Demarini Insane CF5 then CF6 for the past 1 1/2 years and has always loved them. She had been swinging a 31/21 until recently moving up to 32/22. I picked up a cheap used 32/22 LXT for her to try and she automatically liked it as well. Since she liked it so much, I was (am?) planning to pick up a brand new LXT from Coresoftball but I'm not 100% sold since she hits so well with the Insane. My fear is getting her the new LXT but it underperforming the Insane.

The LXT seemed to outperform the Insane the first couple practices but that has since changed. The endcap on the LXT does twist, but will that impact the performance of the bat?

Too add more confusion to the mix, I recently saw a good price on a 33/22 -11 CF6 Sprite. Would the extra inch on that bat make a difference for her over the 32" bats?

Btw, DD is 11 but is big at 5'6" 135lbs. Any opinions or feedback are welcome

Aug 20, 2013
32" is pretty small for 5'6" 135lbs at any age. Most are swinging 33" or 34".

In our experience, most of the girls at this age are still swinigng 30 - 32. In fact, she currently plays on a team of girls that are 1 yr older and only a couple of the girls are swinging 32" bats. The rest are swinging 31's still.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In our experience, most of the girls at this age are still swinigng 30 - 32. In fact, she currently plays on a team of girls that are 1 yr older and only a couple of the girls are swinging 32" bats. The rest are swinging 31's still.

How 11 year old kids are 5'6" and 135lbs? That is the size of some college players and you would be hard pressed to find any swinging 32" bats. But then again at age 11 she may not have the strength to control the heavier, longer stick.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would forget anything less than a -10 drop.

The LTX and CF, non Insane, will swing and perform very similar. The Insane is end loaded and should feel a little bit different than any of the other bats you mentioned.

I would just hang on to the cheap used 32/22 LTX for now. Then a little bit later jump to a 33/23 or 32/23.

(I guess I would not be ready to ditch the used bat for a new one. If you do get a new LTX get a 33/23, she has her old bat to fall back on if she is not ready for the longer length yet)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
How 11 year old kids are 5'6" and 135lbs? That is the size of some college players and you would be hard pressed to find any swinging 32" bats. But then again at age 11 she may not have the strength to control the heavier, longer stick.

Yeah, that's just it. Her size fits in with the older crowd but she hasn't developed the same strength yet.

A loose end cap may indeed effect performance. If she did better with the LXT before the end cap came loose, then it is a pretty safe bet that it is in this case.

There is no way an LXT will "underperform" an Insane. I'd have no issue getting her a new one if that is what she prefers.

At her size, there is no need to consider a -11 of any kind. At her age, I don't think I'd consider a 33" bat, either. I have a 12U team with girls who are up to 5'8" (several are 5'5" or better) and up to 165 lbs. Not a single one uses a 33" bat.

Just for kicks and giggles, let her swing a 2015 Xeno. In terms of balance, it will fall somewhere in between the LXT and the slightly end-loaded Insane, and will be slightly heavier than both.

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the insight on the -11 Quincy & LAS. I wasn't really considering it too heavily but the thought crosssed my mind last night. I actually just saw the price on the 2014 LXT -9 for $150 with free shipping and jumped on it. I figure a 32/23 will be a good change and she can still use the 32/22 Insane if she wants.

As far as the 2015 Xeno, I'm not a big fan. Most of our team got a bunch of them when amazon messed up for $59.99 a few months back. They are good bats, but not a good fit for DD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs