Dead ball during play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2018
Pitch is thrown ball from other field comes into outfield. Batter hits pitch right back to pitcher and throw to first for out. Second ump comes in and says deal ball no play as ball came into outfield but no “dead ball” call was made until after the play.

Jan 11, 2015
There isn't an exact way to handle it. Not sure any rule book actually talks about what to do if a ball from another field comes in. I think the best used practice from what I have seen is if the ball enters once play commences you just play on and hope the play doesn't find the ball or it interferes with anything.

If it happens before the pitch you try to stop everything.

Who knows when the base umpire called time. I have been there where no one has seen him call time or is trying to kill the play and it was me, the plate umpire, who only saw it.

Did he call an out and then was trying to call it a dead ball? Or was he calling a dead ball and never called the runner out?

May 29, 2015
This is always a tough one ... I know I have, over the years, screamed "DEAD BALL" a number of times but nobody heard me because of the game action. Maybe I didn't scream loud enough (although me moving onto the field waving my arms also goes ignored). Over the years, I've been willing to adopt the controversial stance if "If my actions didn't stop anybody and nothing adverse happened, we're letting the play stand."

Also a controversial hot take ... as the batter puts the ball in play in the infield, a ball from another field comes crashing into the outfield. DO NOT KILL THIS PLAY. The ball in the outfield has no effect and no potential for effect. ONLY kill it if the "intruding ball" could have an impact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles