DD Pulled

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If the player and eventually the parent do not know why she was pulled it is an issue. If they know why she was pulled there really is not much to discuss.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have seen pitches pulled mid-inning. Occasionally defensive players if they are playing badly.
I have seen catchers pulled mid-inning a total of 3 times. DD 3 played 2 games yesterday, and catchers were pulled mid-inning twice. Once was a broken finger, the other time was dehydration. The team was down to one of its emergency catchers. DD 3 was another emergency catcher, but she was pitching.

The only other time I've seen a catcher pulled mid-inning was a minor injury 3 years ago. Different team, but the same catcher injured yesterday. Sweet girl, I hope she recovers soon.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Need more info from the OP. However, I saw a player today not catch a foul ball and so the coach came out of the dugout, yelled at her and then sent in a replacement. I don't understand the need to dress her down in public if you are going to pull her. Why not create a teaching/coaching moment in the dugout?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not a fan of pulling players in the middle of an inning unless they are injured or something has gone horribly wrong. One time our catcher took her time tracking down a past ball allowing a base runner to go 1st to 3rd....needless to say she watched the rest of the game from the bench.

Jun 12, 2015
Of course pitchers get pulled all the time mid-inning. It's different with them though. I can only remember one time our coach pulled a catcher mid-inning. She let a good pitch go right by her because she wasn't paying attention. It was very, very hot and she seemed out of it. There was concern that she might be overheating/dehydrated and getting a little confused out there because of it. He pulled her and had her sit and cool off. It wasn't a punishment; I don't like pulling players for mistakes most of the time. But there are times when I watch a fielder make 3 or 4 errors in an inning and I think yeah, the coach outta get her out of there because she clearly doesn't have her head in the game. It's really not even safe to have a kid in the field who's not focused.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Looking for the parent's perspective on this one.

DD is catching and gets pulled in the middle of an inning. What's your reaction ?

My reaction would depend on the situation and her role. I know on our team my kid sometimes goes in mid inning to replace the other catcher, but it is not a punitive thing, the other catcher is developmental right now so if the inning gets sticky my DD comes in, the other catcher might go back out the next inning. I would hate to think the other parents are thinking their kid is being yanked when in fact she is just being supported and given a chance to develop by having a coach willing to give her innings and a teammate that can relieve the pressure so she doesn't have to deal with situations she isn't ready for.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Why did she get pulled...if it was for signs of heat exhaustion/stroke as a parent I'd be really happy to have a coach who is watching out for her like that.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Our team has replaced catchers mid-inning more than a few times. My DD has been pulled, and so have others. If a catcher is struggling, and the game is critical, the team is better off with someone else behind the plate. It's really not a lot different from replacing a pitcher. With a player who touches the ball as often as a catcher, if they are off, it can lead to disaster pretty quickly.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I have pulled kids out in the middle of an inning several times. It is generally under two circumstances: either they are not giving the effort I expect, or they have committed enough errors that they are mentally out of it and need a break. Either way, the kid and parent knows exactly why I did it.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
It's safe to say there's a reason for the pull. With a catcher, it could be reasons that are not obvious to the spectator. There could have been a communication gap issue between coach-catcher-pitcher that had to end, could be an exhaustion concern, a lingering knee injury could have resurfaced, etc. In the end it's about the product on the field and sometimes the coach needs to make these kinds of calls mid-inning to assure the team is performing at its best.

You don't like to see it happen, but there are also times when you wonder why some players are NOT pulled mid-inning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00