DD pitching..please critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
YouTube - Mackense pitching 2/10

heres a video of my 10 year old DD. Shes been pitching almost a year now. Please give some advise on what we need to work on. This is about a month old, with any luck i will have more videos from other angles soon. Thanks.

Greg

Jan 27, 2010
The video is a little dark and hard to see. It appears she lands heel first on her stride foot.

Jul 14, 2008
YouTube - Mackense pitching 2/10

heres a video of my 10 year old DD. Shes been pitching almost a year now. Please give some advise on what we need to work on. This is about a month old, with any luck i will have more videos from other angles soon. Thanks.

Greg

Greg, here are my quick thoughts.

She has a pretty foundation to build on. What I don't like is the "wipe the wall" style of accent up the front side. She turns her hand inside the ball far to early for my liking. If you notice she "inverts" her arm/hand on way up the circle (external rotation). IF she were to continue that inversion (external rotation) her hand would end up on top the ball on the way down the back. To prevent this from happening she makes an adjustment as she moves over the top at about 1:00 to keep the ball facing out. I'd much rather see her hold the ball either facing her body on the way up, or facing backward on the way up. That's just my preference. It creates a smoother transition over the top IMO.......

I'm also not a fan of "pulling the ball through release"......Or "bowling" the pitch. She has the makings of a good "thrower" of the softball. IMO she need to learn to throw the ball underhand like this young lady. Notice the difference in the release phase of the pitch. This young lady uses internal rotation to "throw the ball". Whereas your daughter is trying NOT to allow that to happen as she pulls UP in the ball:

Ilhowser, IF you are reading this, I'd like to see your DD turn the ball inward or backward up the circle. I'm not a fan of pushing the ball up the circle either.......This requires TO much EXTERNAL ROTATION to get the ball in the "show it" position at the top.

Facing the ball rearward or inward allows this to happen naturally with very little external rotation.

Remember, we are trying to internally rotate. So we don't want to set up to have to externally rotate into internal rotation........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd