DD lifting up on her toes when swinging?!?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2011
AL
So about a month ago my DD (12u) developed a hitch in her swing.... She is lifting up on her toes as she swings the bat?!? She doesn't do it every time but enough that it's noticable and it's really taking her power away! She has always made good solid contact but since this issue has started her hits are weak grounders or pathetic infield popups. How do I fix this issue, she bats in the 4 spot so her team needs her back to 100%!!! :(

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Answer would be need to see video to answer correctly.That being said, I know when my DD did this it was because she was dropping her hands.Why does that make her lift up on her toes? Well,when DD dropped her hands and the ball was higher then she originally thought it was going to be.The only way DD thought she could get the bat up to the ball and on plane was to lift up on her toes which brought the bat up also.I could be wrong for your DD's reason,but when I asked my DD that was her reason.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Everything in the stance and swing must emphasize weight and pressures on the balls of the feet. The heels are not up, but the weight is focused on the inside edges of the balls of the feet from initial stance, to toe touch, and back foot finish. In truth, I have never seen this before, but I never coached younger girls on teams.

I would suggest going back to establish a good foundation. The swing starts from the "base" or feet, up! If that is wrong, everything will be wrong.

Weight on the inside edges of the balls of the feet.
Weight shift back, staying on inside edge.
Separation to toe touch, on inside edge of front toe (ball of foot).
Weight shift forward against front side, and finish on back toe.

If your daughter is lifting her toes, then rdbass may be on to something. How is it possible to have your knees flexed in an athletic stance, and allow this to happen? It is physically impossible. Could she be standing up out of her stance?

May 8, 2011
AL
Yes, she seems to be more straight legged than ever before. Her stance has always been great but now she does seem to be lacking that usual bend.... I also think rd may be onto something as well.... Last night at practice is when it really was noticable and she did seem to be dropping her hands.....

Oct 25, 2009
Yes, she seems to be more straight legged than ever before. Her stance has always been great but now she does seem to be lacking that usual bend.... I also think rd may be onto something as well.... Last night at practice is when it really was noticable and she did seem to be dropping her hands.....

Tell her to stick her butt out while in her stance. That will help her get on the balls of her feet like Steve described.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA