DD Freshman Year Cuts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2012
DD's start of freshman year. A little background, played 2 years of rec ball, tried out and made JV last year as an 8th grader. Still has a bunch to learn but I am very proud of her and the progress she has made. This video was last weekend at her hitting coaches facility. Tell me what we need to work on. Just curious on different opinions.[video=youtube_share;vvzJtqeszz8]http://youtu.be/vvzJtqeszz8[/video]

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If I was in there with her, I would tell her to "go big". Looks like she is holding back, maybe trying to make contact.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I agree with redhotcoach. My first impression was that she looks to be holding back--not really swinging confidently/aggressively. Don't get me wrong. I don't think she should swing wild, like she's crazy. She needs a bit more swagger.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
i6jvgh.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As in golf, how you capture transition of the barrel is huge. This swing here lacks an understanding of the muscles in the lower rear back. She doesn't create a corner. She has instead learned to power her swing with her arms. She will struggle against good pitching.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
you suck five! just kidding, I was making the same things.

frshman_zps279749e2.gif

frshman2_zpsc308abbf.gif
Mchands2_zpsaaac6731.gif

kinsler_zps960554a3.gif

Teach her coiling and stretching around her rear leg. Then turn the barrel to the ball.