DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Tom/five do you have any drills that specifically work on turning the barrel?

It is 1 of 2 off season goals to work toward in my dd's swing, and just showing her gifs of Hamilton (her fav) helps a lot, but a drill or two could help reinforce it to her and other girls. In the quest to stop her from flattening the barrel I had to do the drill where you swing with the barrel resting in the base of your neck, it only took a couple of swings to see that is not what were looking for.

I know you asked FFS or Tom.

I'm new to this forum but I would put her on her back knee, belly button facing the plate. Have her carry the barrel behind the ball with her hands. Do not turn the shoulders. Finish with the hands high. This drill forces the hands to work on the barrel.

Get the barrel moving around the hands. With the shoulders taken out of the equation she will be forced to get the barrel around the hands. Do not drag the hands forward. Palm up, palm down, right now.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks for posting the BEFORE clip.

Here's the AFTER clip.

Public_CBBH0007_2012.05.10_06.24.02_030-075_R.gif

I would hope that this kind of deliberate, outright attempts at deception would make people think twice about the advice that they are receiving.

The fact is that, if you look at clips of girls would have been taught to use their hands and turn the barrel, and who have been said to have been instantly and magically cured of bat drag, the bat drag has just been repositioned (out front) and not eliminated.

Are you saying this is your solution to curing bat drag? If so, wow. You have just created a bunch of other problems. The handle is glued to his deltoid. I hope he can turn really, really fast.

Good luck with that.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Good luck with that.
Is my fav saying when I talk to other dads/moms that just dont get it. Some around me have no clue about coil or other important things. At indoor hitting with DD a dad was "handling" the Either drill told my DD to stop coiling. DD told that dad this is what I been taught to do. This is what I should be doing. Please go talk to my dad.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
e875m1.gif

Yes, there are more improvements to be made … but honestly, the journey will continue as long as she stays with the game.

Stay the course. Your daughter has recently made a big change. Get comfortable with this. Progress to head-on soft-toss and collect further confirmation.

Avoid moving on to further enhancements until this is embraced. When she’s ready … let folks know … as you can already see, they won’t be shy to offer input.

Don’t take this change for granted. Capture it before you move on.

Congratulations! Stay the course … and thank your daughter for sharing her journey with others.

p.s.
In follow-up video clips … if you would avoid the slow-motion duplicate frames, then that would be appreciated. I generally pass over postings with slow-motion videos with excessive duplicate frames because they add extra work to create GIFs and provide feedback … I made an exception here.

p.p.s.
I like the use of the Tanner Tee. Nice!

Awesome improvement compared with the first video. Many (maybe most) kids don't learn that fast!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Now move the tee deeper in her stance and she will have to get the barrel moving quicker.

Batdragon ... if you would, let's move the tee back towards about where the front heel would be at heel plant. For what it is worth ... HYP is a quality hitting instructor/coach ... someone that I would feel comfortable working with my hitters.

119xopy.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors