DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

T

theaddition

vroom vroom

First move of Utley's hands are turning the handle with the top hand....shows up as turning along the longitudinal axis....the other guy flattens his hands first - one step above what most young players do....flatten and pull...

I have a tennis racket demo I use to show how to get the barrel turned....hold the racket in your top hand with netting facing the pitcher in a hitting position....move your top hand like you would to swing a bat and get the racket flat by the time of an imagined contact with edge of the racket hitting the imaginary ball....what did your wrist do to make a smooth motion from the top? If it flattened first by radial deviation of the wrist (see chart) - you messed it up....

Frank, do you remember what I asked you about a year ago re: your daughter's hands?

wrist%20flexion%20extension.jpg

That's exactly what I was trying to get to in this thread.
It's an important distinction to make IMHO. That's is why the elbow slotting action is so important.
It sets up this type of turning the handle action in the correct direction. It made sense to my DD once she saw your
marked up clip of her. She was already doing it, but told me your way of explaining it (the video) a lot better.
I use your explanation now.
Much Thanks

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That's exactly what I was trying to get to in this thread.
It's an important distinction to make IMHO. That's is why the elbow slotting action is so important.
It sets up this type of turning the handle action in the correct direction. It made sense to my DD once she saw your
marked up clip of her. She was already doing it, but told me your way of explaining it (the video) a lot better.
I use your explanation now.
Much Thanks

Would you share the marked up GIF?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
The Mickster flattening the hands early similar to Jen Yee....style choice:
MickeyMantle2.gif

Robinson:
FRobinson.gif

One of my favorite "Carve and Filet" clips....Stan the Man:
Musial_side1.gif

Another great "Carver":
n4xuhc.gif

These flatter barrel paths work great for FP. Be sure to think about these barrel paths the next time a seasoned FP coach or hitting instructor tells you that the baseball swing is an uppercut and won't work in FP.

Williams preached a slight upswing of 10 degrees or less....which I consider a flat barrel path.

The "Carve" is the barrel flattening behind the hitter.
The "Filet" is taking the barrel to the ball.

It's ONE move...with a change in direction within the one move. The reason you can change direction within the ONE move, is because the shoulder joint is a ball and socket and can work in multiple planes at the same time.

R

RayR

Don't confuse cause with effect....flattening the barrel is an effect of using the hands correctly....you don't flatten and pull....this is not meant to be argumentative...just a tough thing to teach if the player is already in a flatten and pull pattern....first thing to do is eliminate as much of the flattening as possible and work on getting the barrel around quicker...hands have to learn a new way to swing...

As far as a definition of flat barrel path - IMO that is pitch location dictated....it has been my experience that the closer the hitter can line up the bat and forearm up the elbow at contact the more successful she will be....some in the past have talked about being in the shoulders path, but that is not always the case and places too much emphasis on the shoulders bringing the barrel around...

Contact2.jpg

Contact1.jpg

Contact3.jpg

Contact4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC