DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
images

This must be bat drag too.

R

RayR

I think you meant that she slides her weight from back to front?

If you are saying her upper body is sliding forward with her stride - then yes this is a problem. She needs to shift her lower half and allow the shoulders to laterally tilt to set up the hands to throw....it was what I was saying about shifting her balance point forward....

Here is one example - this player hit .333 for her career at Washington with 172 rbi....

Williams.gif

I know that you asked someone else but...When she slides her weight from front to back the only thing that can happen is to drop the barrel and turn. She needs to throw the barrel fro a balanced back strong position. An athletic position.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
images

This must be bat drag too.

I'm pretty certain that you are joking ... and I'm certain you know this, but I'll state it anyway.

IMO, one of the reasons people struggle to solve 'bat drag' is because they work to solve a re-definition of 'bat drag' and not actually 'bat drag'.

'Bat drag' is not a position ... it is an action ... and it is an action that takes place well before the "RVP Connection Point position". The solution to dragging the barrel is not to simply get to the "RVP Connection Point position" with the "hands" + "rear elbow" + "rear shoulder" + "rear hip" all lined up ... but to not drag the barrel in the first place. It's really that simple.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
theaddition I believe you mentioned about 400 posts ago, that flattening the barrel too early in the swing leads to bat drag. I noticed that on her tee swing that her bat barrel does not flatten behind her head and she has far "less" bat drag. When she hits soft toss, she flattens the bat behind her head. I know when she was hitting the punching bag and off the tee I was having her raise her back elbow up and tipping the barrel of her bat slightly towards the 2nd baseman. This hitch seemed to prevent her from flattening out to early and bringing the barrel behind her head.

Is that what you are referring to when saying something upstream is causing her elbows to get in front of her hands ?

If so, what is your suggestion (ie. drill) to fix this ?

Thx,
BatDragon

There's a very good drill for this. I call it the "check swing" drill. It's very similar to the deltoid drill but the bat is not on the deltoid; it's in it's normal loaded position.

Basically, you just turn the hips as if you have finished the swing, keep the hands in load position, and hit front toss while maintaining the lower half position. This way the lower half is cleared for the hands to come through.

Everyone seems to be overlooking the importance of clearing the path to the ball. The drill works.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Possibly. Every MLB swing isn't necessarily high level. Not all swings are perfect. That's more reason why posters need to post more than one swing to evaluate.

If your definition of 'bat drag' is having the elbow lead the hands at the "RVP Connection Point position" .... then a good swing boarders on 'bat drag'.

However ... that is not the definition of 'bat drag' ... at least not my definition anyway.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I think you meant that she slides her weight from back to front?

If you are saying her upper body is sliding forward with her stride - then yes this is a problem. She needs to shift her lower half and allow the shoulders to laterally tilt to set up the hands to throw....it was what I was saying about shifting her balance point forward....

Here is one example - this player hit .333 for her career at Washington with 172 rbi....

Williams.gif

Yes, that is what I meant. Went back and corrected. Thanks

Oct 25, 2009
If your definition of 'bat drag' is having the elbow lead the hands at the "RVP Connection Point position" .... then a good swing boarders on 'bat drag'.

However ... that is not the definition of 'bat drag' ... at least not my definition anyway.

That's why I said possibly. That particular swing is borderline. Can't say anything definite from just that one frame. Even then it's very doubtful that bag drag is a fault of his.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves