Dad of twin DDs, one is done....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I can't believe that U10s are getting pulled after making two mistakes! That's shocking!
I don't think that is that shocking. We won't pull anyone in the middle of an inning, however, we will switch in between innings. With mandatory play for all the girls, it looks as if we are just getting another girl some playing time and doing our rotations but I do believe that the girls know they were pulled from the game for errors. You can't have someone on second base who can't catch the ball or you'll have a long night.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
It's important to let your DD decide what she wants to do. Definitely have her finish the season, but then don't mention softball until next year. Next year simply ask her if she wants to do it, and if she says no respect her decision. You'll know well before you ask what the answer will be. If she hasn't thrown a ball between the end of this season and next season, you pretty much know the answer before you ask.

Apr 13, 2010
I don't think that is that shocking. We won't pull anyone in the middle of an inning, however, we will switch in between innings. With mandatory play for all the girls, it looks as if we are just getting another girl some playing time and doing our rotations but I do believe that the girls know they were pulled from the game for errors. You can't have someone on second base who can't catch the ball or you'll have a long night.

Interesting. What do you do if you have 5 players who can catch and throw and 5 players that can barely catch and throw and make more mistakes than the others? Most 10U teams that I've seen have this or some combination. You can't hide 5 players on a softball field, it's impossible.

I did the whole stack thing the first time I coached. Biggest mistake I ever made. I had too many players who wouldn't perform at all for me at the end of the year cause they never touched the infield.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Interesting. What do you do if you have 5 players who can catch and throw and 5 players that can barely catch and throw and make more mistakes than the others? Most 10U teams that I've seen have this or some combination. You can't hide 5 players on a softball field, it's impossible.

I did the whole stack thing the first time I coached. Biggest mistake I ever made. I had too many players who wouldn't perform at all for me at the end of the year cause they never touched the infield.

The best players go in the infield. There are 14 girls total. There are a couple in the outfield that perform well (most of the time) and that is where they go. We have a five run per inning limit in our league. If we are up by more than 5 runs and it is towards the end of the game, we rotate some girls so they will see the infield. They play the infield in practice, it's not like they've never seen it. I do, however, believe that they are better than the average 10U rec team. They do have their moments (and far too many of them, if you ask me) but for their age (very young group) they are doing well. I'm holding out hope for a 10U championship next year, when they are all a little older.

Apr 13, 2010
The best players go in the infield. There are 14 girls total. There are a couple in the outfield that perform well (most of the time) and that is where they go. We have a five run per inning limit in our league. If we are up by more than 5 runs and it is towards the end of the game, we rotate some girls so they will see the infield. They play the infield in practice, it's not like they've never seen it. I do, however, believe that they are better than the average 10U rec team. They do have their moments (and far too many of them, if you ask me) but for their age (very young group) they are doing well. I'm holding out hope for a 10U championship next year, when they are all a little older.

And the parents are ok with the fact that on a rec team their DD never sees the infield when the game is on the line?

Interesting.

I see the opposite reaction from parents on travel squads.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
You're allowed to keep your rec teams together year-after-year?

Interesting.
Yes. There are 6 teams for 10U and 13U, 5 for 16U. I've played with the same group of girls (basically) since I was nine years old. The teams are made based off towns in the county. Each team has their own field, we rotate where we play and what not. We will play "away" and baseball will be on the home field. It works for us since it is based off where you live.

And the parents are ok with the fact that on a rec team their DD never sees the infield when the game is on the line?

Interesting.

I see the opposite reaction from parents on travel squads.
No one has yet to complain (as far as I know) about the playing time their daughter sees or what position she is in.

When talking about my rec ball experiences previously, I've said that this area isn't your average rec ball. It's serious business. Those parents want to win and want to win regardless of where their DD is.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Dadof3--I raised three girls, two were athletic enough to play in college--one played hoops, the other softball. They did quite well at their chosen sports.

Talent alone will not get a girl anywhere in sports anymore. Those days are dead and gone. She has to work and practice at her chosen sport. The amount of time required to be "good" at a sport in 2010 is incredible.

My DD the softball player practice 90 minutes a day, 4 days a week for 5 or 6 years. My DD the basketball player practiced (not casually shot around) for 90 minutes a day, 7 days a week for 6 or 7 years. (She went to a private basketball coach and played on hoops travel team (they call them Junior Olympic teams).

You can't get a kid to work that hard unless they love the sport. Case in point: My DD#3 broke her leg. She wore out *FOUR* casts playing games (not just shooting the ball) in the driveway. She literally had a broken leg and was playing basketball.

It nearly killed me when DD#3 quit softball, but she really couldn't become good at it without loving the game. Then, one day I'm in Springfield, Massachusetts and my DD#3 is holding the NCAA D3 national championship trophy. So--guess what?? She was *RIGHT* and I was *WRONG*.

On a more philosophical note--if you let your kids pursue what they want to do, you will grow as person, because they will take you places you have never dreamed of.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414