Cutoffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
I coach a high school team. Any thoughts/suggestions on the best position player to handle cutoffs to home from the outfield? I've seen some teams use 1B for all cutoffs; I've seen some college teams use the pitcher. What are your thoughts on what is best?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have seen it all done and have coached them all. Everything from LF cut is 3B, CF & RF is 1B to 1B has all cuts, to P has all cuts. IMHO the P cutting the ball is the best. I hear it all the time that the pitcher shouldn't be involved in any plays, I ask why? I never get a solid answer as to why, maybe the feeble in case they get hurt excuse. Ummm they are throwing a ball from about 35 feet to a huge girl that wants to crush it... and your worried about the pitcher getting hurt on a play????

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have seen it all done and have coached them all. Everything from LF cut is 3B, CF & RF is 1B to 1B has all cuts, to P has all cuts. IMHO the P cutting the ball is the best. I hear it all the time that the pitcher shouldn't be involved in any plays, I ask why? I never get a solid answer as to why, maybe the feeble in case they get hurt excuse. Ummm they are throwing a ball from about 35 feet to a huge girl that wants to crush it... and your worried about the pitcher getting hurt on a play????

It often is personnel dependent, but IME there are a fair number of pitchers who have become specialized and only pitch. They are usually the last one you want making any kind of overhand throw.

Jun 11, 2013
In baseball the pitcher is supposed to go backup the play, but IMHO in softball I would have the P do the cutoff simply because there isn't enough time for the 1B to get over in a lot of circumstances.

Jan 24, 2011
My pitcher should be getting her little princess self out of the circle and over to the foul side of the 3rd base line; preparing to either back up a play at 3rd or home.

I don't worry too much about these backups. A softball field is much smaller than a baseball field so there isn't a ton of foul territory. Even when the ball does get by , it cant go to far.

May 29, 2011
Tennessee
We always use the pitcher. It's the simplest approach and leaves a third baseman and first baseman at their bags in case a throw behind the runner is needed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1