Cricket anyone?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
At our 8U rec game last night - our batter hit a pitch after it bounced in front of home plate. Smacked it pretty good into CF actually and would have been an easy double. And while I don't encourage kids to swing at pitches that bounce, I'm 99.9% sure that this is a live ball and should have been allowed to go on. That is nothing wrong with hitting a pitch that bounces.

Volunteer ump (so I could not and did not get mad at him) ruled dead-ball and credited a ball on the batter, even though she swung and hit it fair. So I think he got the ruling wrong twice on the same swing.

So just to satisfy my other 0.1%, this should have been a hit in play, correct?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
A bounced pitch may...

...be swung at and missed for a strike.

...be swung at and batted into play.

...be swung at and become a foul tip.

...hit the batter and result in an award of first base.

In other words, a pitch that bounces before reaching the plate is treated exactly the same as any other pitch- with one exception. It can't be a called strike, even if it bounces through the strike zone.

Yeah, usually on these situations 8U volunteer ump I would still go out and talk not argue with ump for a few seconds and just tell him "I am pretty sure that is a legal hit, maybe just check on it for next time, Thanks" or even if not during play in between innings "hey that was kind of different hitting on the bounce, I think last time they ruled it a hit, maybe check that out for next time I think I'll go check out the rule to be sure too" Nice low threat not confrontational especially if the ump is a little on the younger side, which is slowly becoming everyone as the years pass.

Jun 22, 2010
Ask him, if it's a dead ball, does that mean the runners have to go back on a wild pitch? (Check your local rules first - since it's 8U Rec, there may actually be a rule that says so!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez