Continuation play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I don't think I was clear in my post. F3 is not "on" first base. F3 would be 10 feet off first base in the base path between first and second. As soon as the batter/runner continues, F1 throws to F3, F3 tags the batter/runner and then throws to F2 if the runner on third is going home. It's pretty much the same idea, but with a shorter throw.

Now you are running the risk of F3 being called for obstruction. If F3 does not have the ball and impedes the runner in any way, they would be guilty of obstruction. Based on your description, I very likely would have an obstruction call on F3.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I have the catcher get the ball back to the pitcher immediately. Pitcher then walks backwards to back edge of circle which holds runner on third base (while keeping eyes on both the batter-runner and runner on third base as best she can). Once the batter-runner gets to and rounds first base, the pitcher sprints to cut-off that runner going to second base for the tag out, if runner on third breaks for home, the pitcher fires home for the out. It's a play I've used since my daughter was 10yo, so yeah, the young kids can manage it. For it to be effective, the pitcher needs to be aggressive and committed to cutting that runner off going to second base...once she sprints she needs to mentally break off all concern about that runner on third until she hears the catcher call "HOME". Once she hears the catcher, she stops and turns for home. You really need to practrice it with live runners. Many times the pitcher (they are young remember) will be hesitant or sometimes stop and look to see what the runner on third is doing. If she does that the batter-runner will take second base untouched. I ecourage my girls to take chances, throw the ball around, play aggressive...have fun. The whole idea here not to keep the runner on first base, but to "bait" the runner on third to break for home. Cuz, yeah...if the runner stay on first, she'll get second most every time on the next pitch. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Offensively, I never (very rarely anyhow) do the continuation play.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Now you are running the risk of F3 being called for obstruction. If F3 does not have the ball and impedes the runner in any way, they would be guilty of obstruction. Based on your description, I very likely would have an obstruction call on F3.

The ball should be to F3 before the batter/runner gets there, so it's not obstruction. If the pitcher is hesitant and doesn't get the ball to F3 soon enough, F3 needs to move forward toward the ball and out of the batter/runner's way. At that point if the runner on third is going, F3 should just focus on the play at home since the chance of getting the batter/runner out is low anyway.

I've seen other teams use this basic strategy except having F1 throw to F4 halfway between first and second. It's still basically the same concept. I prefer to use F3 because the ball is less likely to come out of a first baseman's mitt during the tag and there's no play at first base anyway.

Feb 3, 2011
Offensively, I never (very rarely anyhow) do the continuation play.
Same here. We don't because, as has been stated, we're going to steal on the next pitch anyway. If C makes the throw to 2B, we get both the run and the stolen base.

10u is what it is. Coach the kids up - knowledge and reps on these plays you guys are describing certainly does not hurt - but don't expect to get those outs against fast, aggressive, decently-coached teams. We don't throw the ball around on defense, because the risk is greater than the reward.

Jun 22, 2008
10' off the bag and the pitcher is going to get the ball to F3 after a running batter/runner touches 1st and before they get to where F3 is standing? I dont see that happening, even at older age levels. Also, even if F3 were to catch the ball before the batter/runner got to them, if the batter/runner had to alter their path in any way because F3 was standing in their base path it would still be obstruction.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
If the batter/runner does make an attempt to advance to 2nd, the pitcher now has a very short throw to F6, especially if they are standing at the very back of the circle. Runner at 3rd is force to stay on the base until the pitcher makes a play. If you work out the timing of the play, it is a quick tag at 2nd and then throw to home for the play there.

That's not bad either, I think I'll try that with the older girls who have the quickness and strong accurate arms.

Dec 8, 2009
One play we used at 10u on the offensive side of this situation with less than 2 outs was to have the runner at 3rd get their normal lead on the pitch, batter/runner jog to 1st make the turn and jog to 2nd never changing speed. If the other team tryed for the out at 2nd the tag had to be applied, this gave the runner at 3rd the chance to score. At 10u very few catchers will be able to make an accurate throw to 2nd or resist the urge to try, but if they do try we just scored. This will work more times than not because very few team practice defending this at 10u. And yes I will give up an out for a run.
1999coach

Jan 31, 2011
For 10U I really like the way T.J. runs it. We tried plays close to that, but the only difference was the pitcher tossed the ball to SS cutting across & running at the continuation runner. We tried to get that out and kept an eye (and ear) of what was going on at 3rd base. A lot of mishandling of the ball was the result. But reading T.J.'s play, that would seem to work great.

As the kids get older 14U and up, you are just asking for a double play if you try the continuation to 2nd base. IMHO.

Jan 31, 2011
At 10U, whether a team continuates (I know, not a real word!) or not, the very next pitch you will have 2nd and 3rd anyway unless your catcher has a phenomenal arm and you can count on her throwing out the runner a high percentage of the time (not usually). So as a coach, you need to decide whether it's worth going after the out, or let them run to second since they will do it the next pitch anyway. I personally think if you go after the out at second early in the game, a "smart" opposing coach will stop using the continuation play, since no one in their right mind would give up the out for a run when on the very next pitch he could have 2nd and 3rd anyway.

Please clarify your last statement. Are you saying no coach (on offense) would exchange a run for an out? Because if that is what you mean, then I must be out of my mind. When I coached 10U, I would exchange an out for a run any chance I got. Any run across the plate was better than the chance of scoring. Its like in football, never take points off the board (field goal) because of a penalty...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi