Constructive criticism welcome 11 year old swing progress, videos inside.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
Jun 23 2014 - 6:25 PM - Coach's Eye
Jun 23 2014 - 6:15 PM - Coach's Eye
Jun 23 2014 - 6:14 PM - Coach's Eye
Hylan 6/22/14 - Coach's Eye
Jun 23 2014 - 6:13 PM - Coach's Eye
Jun 23 2014 - 6:09 PM - Coach's Eye
Jun 23 2014 - 6:18 PM - Coach's Eye

The above links are from yesterday she has been seeing a hitting instructor with an organization thats competes on a national level in 18u. We have been working on balance, turning the barrel, and she has been hitting the ball waaaay out front Im thinking from her swing speed being increased and so used to swining much earlier timing it. Any tips will help.

The link below is what her swing looked like 2 months ago.

Hylan tee 2: Hylan tee 2 - YouTube

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
When you see the ball flight go down, usally it is upper body ahead. No hip drive.
Watch her hands and the back hip. Can you see how the hands fly past first before rotation? That makes the bat on a downward swing path.

I work on throwing first with a late seperation. Coil then as you just start to fall out to toe touch seperate back to throw.
I use this same motion on the swing.

So end comment. Upper body ahead of lower body...Very common in girls

Straightleg

May 13, 2013
Thanks straight leg, so your saying she should start hip rotation just a touch before the hands fire foward, any particular thing we can work on to help that.

May 13, 2013
So let me get this straight, your saying that the throwing of the hips and keeping the hands back will help your hips lead her hands. Im gonna do a search on this site and see what I can come up with. Thanks

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Throwing being, grab a glove and a bucket of balls and throw. Coil your hips and and you start to fall out seperate and throw a ball into the net.
See if the throw is shortarmed or pushed. If it is then the swing will mimic. Work on throwing mechanics first, then hit as you throw.

Best way i can explain it.

SL

May 13, 2013
Lol.straightleg are you some kind of.psychic she does short arm her throws and its.always drove me crazy. You could be onto something with this. So she should coil on the rear hip as her hands go back and then as shes about to reach toe touch uncoil the hips and bring the hips around?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
No....Watch a MLB pitcher. Coil, as you are falling out, seperate the arm back, stretch out and throw. Try to have late seperation on the arm back as you fall forward.
Work on correct throwing mechanics. You throw as you hit, you hit as you throw.

She short arm her throws, she short arms her swing. It is clear in the video you posted.Upper body ahead

SL

May 13, 2013
Straitleg I really appreciate the responses, anybody else feel free to comment. I feel like shes came pretty far from where she was not long ago, she is much shorter to the ball and her bat speed has increased also.

May 13, 2013
Thanks alot cannon I returned your pm. She has a lot of problem with hitting the ball way out front and not letting it get to the contact point of the swing the most powerful position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission