Confused about ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Could someone enlighten me and tell me if this was correct.....I helped coach a 6u Babe Ruth rec all star game last night and we were on defense. Bases loaded with 1 out. Batter hits a short pop fly which bounces and then fielded by P. Runner on 3rd starts to run, takes a few steps and then returns to 3rd. P runs to 3rd and tags the runner still standing on the bag, then we instructed her to step on 3rd base also (none of the runners tried to advance because they thought it was a foul ball.) We're all thinking double play, tagged the runner who was supposed to go home and then stepped on 3rd to get the force from 2nd. However, after a delay of game and protest, the ruling was the runner on 3rd was safe because she was on the bag and did not have to advance at that point. We were told had we stepped on home, she would have been out, but choosing not to run was an option. However, they did call out the runner on 2nd. Does this make sense to ANYBODY?? Runner doesn't have to advance on what would essentially have been a ground ball at the time?? Somebody please explain this to me if this is correct. Thanks!

I'm just not sure what to think?

Nov 29, 2016
Runner at 2B was called out.

If the bases were loaded and the batter put a fair ball into play (not caught in the air for an out), the runners are forced to advance and the runner on 1 loses the protection of that base. If the batter/runner gets there before being put out, it is hers.

In the OP scenario, the double play ended the inning so the batter runner just runs hard through 1B like they're all taught to do and then heads to the dugout to get her mitt and play defense.

In the OP it states that none of the runners on base at the time of the hit advanced. The OP does not state that the batter was thrown out at first, is that just assumed? The OP also states that they thought it was a double play but they were wrong. If the inning was over anyway why have a protest and a ruling. It sounded to me like the OP was stating that the inning kept going so I'm confused on what happened to the batter.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In the OP it states that none of the runners on base at the time of the hit advanced. The OP does not state that the batter was thrown out at first, is that just assumed? The OP also states that they thought it was a double play but they were wrong. If the inning was over anyway why have a protest and a ruling. It sounded to me like the OP was stating that the inning kept going so I'm confused on what happened to the batter.

I'm not seeing any reason to assume that the batter was thrown out at 1B. In the description of the play, P fielded the ball and ran to 3B with it. Based on the information given, and that the OP indicated that the runner at 2B was the only out on the play, I would assume that the runner who started at 1B moved to 2B at some point.

Nov 29, 2016
Runner at 2B was called out.

If the bases were loaded and the batter put a fair ball into play (not caught in the air for an out), the runners are forced to advance and the runner on 1 loses the protection of that base. If the batter/runner gets there before being put out, it is hers.

In the OP scenario, the double play ended the inning so the batter runner just runs hard through 1B like they're all taught to do and then heads to the dugout to get her mitt and play defense.

I'm not seeing any reason to assume that the batter was thrown out at 1B. In the description of the play, P fielded the ball and ran to 3B with it. Based on the information given, and that the OP indicated that the runner at 2B was the only out on the play, I would assume that the runner who started at 1B moved to 2B at some point.

The OP states "(none of the runners tried to advance because they thought it was a foul ball.) " but I think you're probably right that the runner from first went to second and the batter went to first and the runner from second was left in no man's land, probably standing on third too lol

Feb 12, 2016
North Carolina
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like maybe the wrong call was made. The protest was done because this was a district game, score was tied (nail biter......21-21 LOL), near the end of the game and home team was due to bat after this play. But since it was not counted as a double play, the inning continued and the other team scored several more runs. Ended up being a game changer. The runner on 3rd was tagged before the play on the bag, and no infield fly as 6 yr olds can't catch a fly ball anyways :)

Mar 15, 2014
Delay of game to rule on a protest and they get it wrong?
6U eh?
Priceless.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00