Confessions of a crazy daddy.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD was a pretty good pitcher in travel ball. When my DD turned 16YOA, I wanted her to be on an elite team--one of the best in the midwest. The coach had watched my DD play and pitch. So, I went to him and talked to him about it. He said:

"I don't want her on the team. Your DD is good enough to pitch for us, but she would be the #2 or #3 on the team. She will not be getting any time on the mound on Sunday during the tournament. She is not good enough to be a position player. So, she is going to be sitting on the bench 60% of the time. I think it is a waste of her time to be sitting the bench while she could be on another team playing."​

My pride was hurt. Over the years, I've learned to appreciate the coach's honesty. Most coaches would have taken my DD, sat her on the bench, and told me, "Your child is great. Just keep working!"

So, my DD played for a team that was very good, but not an elite team. On the good team, she got at least 50% of the pitching time and they played about 80% of the same tournaments as the elite team. Her team was not as good as the elite team, but they won a lot of games.

The #1 pitcher on the elite team played for Michigan. The #2 pitcher played a year of D1 ball and then quit. My DD ended up played at a Juco for 2 years and then played for a mid-major D1 school.

Mar 15, 2010
I went through a very similar situation recently with my DD. While interviewing prospective 16U teams my DD and I met with one of Socal's elite teams. The coach was impressed with DD but gave me the honest assessment that his other 3 pitchers already battle for mound time and DD would be last to get any action. The one difference is he gave my DD a personal recommendation to another travel team that is not quite at the level of his team but is also considered to be very good. This team has two quality pitchers but neither was the starter the coach needed. DD was selected to the 2011 team and has been playing as a sub with the 2010 team. In the friendly this past weekend he gave her 2 out of the 4 starts plus brought her into relief. DD was disappointed when she didn't make the other team but is now very happy that she is on this team. The only rain cloud on the horizon is one of the other 2 pitchers is upset about DD getting play time over her and the rumor at practice last night is she would not be leaving at the end of the year. I am going to stay out of that entirely and let the coach deal with his team.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse