Conditioning Importance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
How important is it to integrate conditioning into practice at the 10U and 12U level? Also, at these ages is it just a short jog and stretching or is it sprinting, agility, etc?

Thanks

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
At that age, I never did anything purely for the sake of conditioning. Any conditioning we did was running bases, sliding, or working on running catches in the outfield. And then they are expected to run on and off the field ... It's great to be in good condition, but my feeling is that there is so much softball to teach, so little time, at 10U/12U.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
At that age, what matters is to build ABCs - Agility, Balance, Coordination, Speed. That's what matters most.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) Softball is skills-based sport. Moreover, you've got a tons of skills to master (running bases, fielding, throwing, hitting, bunting, etc.). So you need to prioritize skills development over conditioning.

2) At that age, they still ''play'' the game to have fun, be with their friends, etc. even at the competitive level. You should focus on choosing drills and exercises that are fun but have the ''conditioning built-in''.

Any kind of tag games will work. You can also have a hitting circuit but have 1-2 stations of your stations that can be conditioning stuff such as skipping rope, core work, etc.

3) Conditioning is not a primary performance factor in our sport, it only helps execute skills with greater effectiveness and help players last. That's why I wouldn't over emphasize it at that age. As they get older, it gets a little more important.

4) I'd make sure i have a good dynamic warm-up in which you can include a few good exercises that will both be a warm-up and a bit of strength and conditioning: walking lunges, push-ups, inchworm, etc.

Cheers,

Coach Marc

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Any conditioning you do at that age should be a 'fun' activity. Most 10-12 year old are pretty active regardless, so it is probably not as important as it is in the later years.

Apr 15, 2012
How important is it to integrate conditioning into practice at the 10U and 12U level? Also, at these ages is it just a short jog and stretching or is it sprinting, agility, etc?

Thanks

Personally I don't think enough emphasis is put on conditioning at this age level! CoachKevin said it great, Building core strength is what it's all about. Now, I'm talking about competitive TB here. Where your team might play 5-6 games in a day and up to 9 in a weekend in 100 degree heat. The absolute only way to prepare for that is to be in great shape physically!! If they are not in great shape and are not use to having to work while tired or exhausted, that is when the mental game starts to break down and the wheels fall off. Championship games are played on Sunday afternoon and you better have a big gas tank to get there!!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Since this is the coaching thread I am going in a different tack.

Is conditioning important, absolutely. Should running be required yes, but make sure someone is around with oxygen because some of the coaches I see are not very fit and the shock to the system might be hard for them to handle. :)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Coaching ??? why are players picked up that can't even do basic warming jogs. It is a waste of time... limited weather permitting time to do conditioning with the team. It is a personal thing. Only thing I can figure is wife sells supplements . I can see if Coach has a certification in Strength & conditioning, and has his own studio, where he can work on his projects on his own time. The underlying fundamental, that I think all must agree with is... "it has to be done every other day, 52 weeks a year." My DD has a S & C coach, she does it at the Y.

Its bad enough to have to do static stretches, then take a jog around the field, then wrist flips, followed by throwing with feet locked in place, and watch the out of condition players still huffing and puffing from the jog. They get as much exercise as they need in this cycle of once or twice a week.... chasing after the balls they miss.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Okay, PC what are you trying to say? No to conditioning and girls that aren't skin & bones should not play softball? Thats the great thing about softball, the players come in different sizes, there is a spot for everyone. I have seen skinny girls get beat running by girls that are bigger and those skinny girls are out of breath. I think conditioning is a good thing, but just because one girl can do 20 push ups and another can't do one means squat. We don't see men in football being put down because one guy weighs 300lbs and another 230lbs, so why do we do that to girls and women. I think because male coaches look at girls and women all wrong. Coach see a 14yo 250lbs boy on a football feild and think boy do I have a place for him to play. Then a coach sees a 14yo 175lbs girl on a softball field and thinks she is slow and lazy or something. What a crook of poop.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'm saying nothing about size, I'm sayin DD doesn't need additional, contradicting conditioning. She does it daily, and year round under the recommendation's of one of the best IMHO in the country. I considered it a personal thing, but pay for the family plan, so that I can make sure the local fitness people don't contradict what I purchased from my choice in her approach, and that she can do it regularly with her little like minded friends. I also have to waste lotz of time seeing to it that she isn't joining their intramural teams too.

DD plays only Fastpitch as a team sport. She swims, bikes, Rollerblades & roller skates, does tennis, & racquetball on her own, with her life long friends. Just from Fastpitch alone, she already has about 3 too many coaches in her ear, and their un-certified antiquated ideas. I already pay for her conditioning, and have for 7 years now.

If you read my post, you will find that I'm not even really convinced about working on her swing for another two years. Another way of saying that is, I not convinced about working on her swing for another 20 lbs. When we do, we will be going for HR's... the truth is it is impossible at her size right now... If she is going to take the big swing, I'll need to see a 30% chance of her putting it over the fence.

I said player who cant do the warm up jog.... nothing about size. I guess you don't know how our team does it... they tuck their glove under their arm, and slowly jog around the outside of the fence they are all supposed to stay together as a team. That is difficult to do because of the focus required. Yes their is some that huff and puff, and they can't stay together because the speedsters want to out run everybody else...My money went to cover cost of uniforms, and tournament fees for this team. It was not to hire a pitchin/catching or strength & conditioning Coach. Nor was it to hire a family counselor or physiologist.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah