Concussions in female softball players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
All I know is we've come a long way with concussion awareness since I was a kid.

When I was 11, I was hit in the forehead by a swinging golf club. It literally launched me into the air. I had a concussion, my forehead was split open and I received 10 stitches.

For the concussion orders were just, pupil test every hour for 48 hours and spend the weekend on the couch, couldn't go anywhere because I was pupil testing. I was back to playing day 3.

Recently I had a high schooler, get hit in the head after a throw clipped another fielders glove. She had to go on bed rest for several days and only light activity for 2 weeks.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
That's what they told me when they handed me the sheet and told me "Sorry, they just found out about it."

As a former catcher, and a father of catchers, I am strongly in favor of concussion recognition and recovery protocols. FWIW, my kids' HS had all athletes do a cognitive test to establish a baseline reference that could be used, only if needed, to evaluate post-concussion recovery.

Apr 1, 2010
As a former catcher, and a father of catchers, I am strongly in favor of concussion recognition and recovery protocols. FWIW, my kids' HS had all athletes do a cognitive test to establish a baseline reference that could be used, only if needed, to evaluate post-concussion recovery.

My daughter's HS is doing the baseline references too. I'm all for it. I'm pretty sure DD has had at least two concussions on foul tips back to her catcher's mask/helmet. It's always a risk behind the plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi