committing in middle school?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's like when DD's travel team asks for a commitment for the next travel season in May (though I admit with not as much at stake!)

Most of the time, this is the TB coach trying to get a feeling for what holes he's going to need to fill.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Unless your DD is a legit top-level D1 prospect, it's most likely that your DD won't need to make a college decision until her senior year of HS, and even then a verbal commitment isn't binding until the National Letter of Intent is signed. Most of the players I know who will be playing at mid-level D1 schools committed in the fall of their senior year. I know 2 players who committed to Oregon State (Pac 12) this past fall. One is a senior, one is a junior. Another future D1 player I know had verbally committed to one school, and the day before signing her NLI, switched her commitment after getting a last-minute offer from a preferred school.

For your 6th grader, her only softball concerns should be...
1. Have fun
2. Get better
Number 1 should be : And make good grades……..

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I was reading about someone now playing D1 who had committed in 8th grade and I'm curious how that works? That's basically 4+ years until she actually plays for the school and a lot can happen between when she commits and actually starts playing for the team. Is the school obligated to take her at graduation? Or is it something more symbolic? I'm feeling a little down for DD who's in 6th grade and I'm not sensing that any schools have her on their radar :(
If your dd wasn’t on a D1 wish list by first year 10u, well let’s just say that there is nothing wrong with community college.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Number 1 should be : And make good grades……..

It's not a softball concern, specifically, but it's very important. Good grades in HS keeps more college opportunities open. In talking with college coaches about the players on my DD's 18U team, there have been more than a few times where players that might have been a good fit for the college team don't meet the academic requirements for acceptance to the school. In the case of some schools, that hurdle can be quite high. A very well-regarded private D3 in our area won't even consider a player whose weighted GPA is less than 4.0.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Since this thread brought up school work I’ll add a tip as the dad of a collage freshman.
I highly recommend taking ECP classes in HS if possible. My DD did and it took a lot of pressure off of her and allowed her to take mostly classes that are focused on her major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Since this thread brought up school work I’ll add a tip as the dad of a collage freshman.
I highly recommend taking ECP classes in HS if possible. My DD did and it took a lot of pressure off of her and allowed her to take mostly classes that are focused on her major.

That only works well if your kid has a clue with respect to their major and the school she ends up attending has a graduate program in that field of study. Due to the pandemic there are a lot of 5th year players stuck in BS graduate programs that they have no intention of finishing. When my daughter was playing one of her catchers had to transfer out because she ran out of legitimate classes. You can always negotiate a 5th year, take your time and have a life both in HS and college.

My daughter had no idea what she wanted to do. Started out in Sociology (useless) and ended up in Hospitality Management. Did a 5th year at SC to complete her degree that included an internship with Hilton. Graduated and eventually ended up at the front desk at the Waldof Astoria in Orlando for a year. Then transferred to the Golf Pro Shop where she picked up a club and found out she could easily hit the ball 250 yards. Plays every day for free and is now working on her PGA card. Figures that if she can teach pitching she can teach golf. :)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
That only works well if your kid has a clue with respect to their major and the school she ends up attending has a graduate program in that field of study. Due to the pandemic there are a lot of 5th year players stuck in BS graduate programs that they have no intention of finishing. When my daughter was playing one of her catchers had to transfer out because she ran out of legitimate classes. You can always negotiate a 5th year, take your time and have a life both in HS and college.

My daughter had no idea what she wanted to do. Started out in Sociology (useless) and ended up in Hospitality Management. Did a 5th year at SC to complete her degree that included an internship with Hilton. Graduated and eventually ended up at the front desk at the Waldof Astoria in Orlando for a year. Then transferred to the Golf Pro Shop where she picked up a club and found out she could easily hit the ball 250 yards. Plays every day for free and is now working on her PGA card. Figures that if she can teach pitching she can teach golf. :)

In my DD’s case it just meant she took care of classes that would have been required in collage while she was in HS. She started college already having some college credits in the bank. Made her workload more manageable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00