College program of study

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
DD majored in Industrial Engineering at a P5. Academics always came first and she got her degree in four years.

Kids can major in whatever they want at pretty much any school. The issue with nursing and other competitive majors, in addition to labs, is it’s difficult to keep their grades high enough to get accepted into their majors.

Jun 8, 2016
Kids can major in whatever they want at pretty much any school. The issue with nursing and other competitive majors, in addition to labs, is it’s difficult to keep their grades high enough to get accepted into their majors.
Agreed but that is something a kid can control. The lab stuff may be out of their control unfortunately..Other than physics, does IE have labs? Admittedly I don't know much about IE other than our former Dean was an IE and I couldn't stand him :LOL:

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
If you wanna be a Nurse or a AT and play softball, find that school. My school lets you do that. Girls miss some non league games and maybe some practices for classes also. Yet we made playoffs last 2 years and get players from California to commit!!

May 27, 2013
Just to clarify my position - I am all for nursing majors who want to play softball. I just want to be able to shed some light though on how a nursing major works. They typically admit very limited numbers into a class year because they need to ensure that they will have enough instructors who can be with the student nurses on the hospital floors during clinicals. There is a limit to how many students a clinical instructor can oversee. Once a student gets left behind a year because they couldn’t make the clinical schedule work, it might not be guaranteed that they will have a spot with the following year’s class for clinical placement.

Nursing courses also typically follow a very specific course structure. If you don’t follow their syllabus as instructed a course you need might not be available that next semester. You might have to wait a full year. It is a step-like process. You need certain pre-reqs before you can advance.

At my school nursing majors couldn’t get more than one C in a core nursing class (for the final semester grade) that had a clinical component. Anything below a C and they were out of the program. Two C’s and they were also out.

It definitely can lead to a lot of pressure just being a nursing major alone. I give a huge amount of kudos to any softball player who can graduate with a BSN in four years.

I don’t want to turn people off to the major, but just want them to know the details of what a major in nursing typically entails.

ETA: Clinicals are also a whole different animal than labs. Clinicals are usually 8 hour days. We were allowed to miss one clinical day per clinical course - and you better have been sick with the flu.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Agreed but that is something a kid can control. The lab stuff may be out of their control unfortunately..Other than physics, does IE have labs? Admittedly I don't know much about IE other than our former Dean was an IE and I couldn't stand him :LOL:

She had several labs. The coaches and professors both worked with her. She missed several practices and fall games for labs. In the spring professors worked with her so she could be at the games.

I’m sure you’re right about some labs being out of their control. There’s always a way to make it work, even if it means taking an extra semester or year to get their degrees.

Aug 25, 2019
Interesting read here.....My DD, like most here, would like to play college softball, and where I would love to see her play, I'll be damned if she goes to a school where it's softball first, academics second. If softball can't fit around her major (nursing), then she's not playing, pretty simple choice for us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish