College and majors to stay away from??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
I think engineering would be doable just realize it will take an extra semester or two. Would limit engineering hours to 8 hours or less during season.

Jul 11, 2023
Seems all my friends with kids about to enter college are baseballers. All the softballers are younger. But discussions with them seem to parallel what many are saying here.

Only quirk to my answer is I don't know that you need to avoid anything. They'll avoid you if they don't like your major. I believe it can certainly be done. But the name on the front of the uniform might not have the athletic prestige you may have dreamed of.

And while thinking out loud, since she doesn't really know what she wants yet, it may be worthwhile to explore how credits and degrees transfer. Beyond just the portal. Father time is undefeated with athletes. But college remains available. Your path doesn't have to follow a specific timeline. Obviously some benefits with scholarships and NIL if you can line the two up. But never feel compelled to live someone else's life.

Jun 7, 2016
if softball is a source of entertainment/relaxation/social, DD can play club ball. My DD (chemistry) knew early on she did not want travel and regimentation of D1 softball and eliminated some D1 schools based on no/minimal club ball programs. Your DD can always "step down" to club if NCAA ball becomes to much to juggle. (FYI her club program has a W-I-D-E talent pool, so it can be frustrating to "step down". LOL

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We are a school first, softball second family. Just I know she wants to play, but want to make sure she doesnt end up failing because of a bad choice. She may have to give up softball depending on her major choice.
She needs to decide what level she wants to play at and whether academics and major or softball are primary.

If she's going to a big D1 program, some programs won't be very supportive of some of he major choices. If she goes to some D3 schools academics are likely to come first and sports will be secondary.

Either way she should do a self assessment about what is most important to her but I'm sure there are schools out there where she can both play and study her preferred major, it just may not be the schools you've looked at yet.

Nov 15, 2019
As someone mentioned earlier, nursing and engineering are two fields that some college coaches don't want you to major in. Others are ok with it. If you do a search on this board with nursing in the title, you should come up with a thread of colleges that are ok with it. Those might be some possible colleges for you to look at that are a little more flexible with different majors.

May 27, 2013
our neighbor did the nursing program. she got her degree in 5 years, with the extra year being the more demanding classes and internships. She is now graduated and doing her clinical work to get into PA school. i can be done, maybe just not in the time frame as traditional students.
[/QUOT

Is it a bad sign when nobody mentions their major in their Bio?

As long as no one else on the team does….then no. Team might just not post them.

Jan 20, 2023
I think engineering would be doable just realize it will take an extra semester or two. Would limit engineering hours to 8 hours or less during season.

It’s the labs and travel/ practice schedule that usually causes problems. I swam in college in the 90s and even back then it was an issue (a workable one) but the travel has exploded since then. Watching our local D1 team I don’t see how you could do it- but one girl is.

I was talking to my daughter about this and she pulled up the Stanford team who has a number of kids with hard science and engineering majors. So- she was really taking in my message on realistic expectations 🤣

Jul 1, 2022
With conference realignment, it will be harder for p5 players to work around some majors when they'll need to frequently fly across the country to play games.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00