College and majors to stay away from??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2021
Starting to look for a college for our daughter. Is there any majors that she should think twice about and playing softball? My wife is an RN and played volleyball and it was very difficult to keep up with clinical and all playing. Our daughter is typical and not sure what she wants to do. Looked into some medical things but is not sure if she could keep up or is that something that is not a good idea?

Apr 25, 2019
My DD was told early on at a camp for P5 program that nursing, engineering, and architecture would not be possible with the demands of a P5 program.

Sep 28, 2021
Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong? Shouldn’t they be working around your schooling? About a dozen people in this world make a good living playing softball…
We are a school first, softball second family. Just I know she wants to play, but want to make sure she doesnt end up failing because of a bad choice. She may have to give up softball depending on her major choice.

Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
Find your schools by her major, then explore softball. There are plenty of success stories of athletes who got into nursing or engineering. John T is right, there is no way to make a decent living playing softball after college, so don't sacrifice an academic career choice for softball.

Apr 25, 2019
Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong? Shouldn’t they be working around your schooling? About a dozen people in this world make a good living playing softball…

You would figure. But when a Power 5 coach is scrutinized based on wins and losses and their job depends on it.....well, they are softball first and academics second

May 27, 2013
Starting to look for a college for our daughter. Is there any majors that she should think twice about and playing softball? My wife is an RN and played volleyball and it was very difficult to keep up with clinical and all playing. Our daughter is typical and not sure what she wants to do. Looked into some medical things but is not sure if she could keep up or is that something that is not a good idea?

It truly depends on the individual school, program and coaches. Some are fine with coming to practice late due to labs/clinicals and some professors are fine with making work up if you have to miss a class or lab. However, there are also coaches and professors who are not fine with this so it’s better to do the research early in the process to find out.

I suggest looking at the majors of the current players on the rosters and that would help to know if her desired major would be ok while playing ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles