Coldweather & Composites

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It is what it is...you are taking a chance in very cold weather with any bat. As for me, I still use composite, but will use one of the bats I dont care as much about.

May 17, 2012
I agree that it's all about money and warranties. I have no issue with my daughter swinging her composite at any temperature.

Playing in Indiana over the last 20 years we play in some cold weather in the spring. I just haven't seen evidence that composites struggle with cold weather.

She wants a new bat every year anyways...

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
My dd uses a rocketech and xeno. I have no problem with whatever she chooses to use when its cold or in the cage. If it breaks send it back. If I pay $300 for a bat, she is going to get some use out of it because next year I'll shell out another $300.

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for the replies and feedback. I was going to make her use the backup FS2 just in case, but she has recently started using a CF5 Insane that she is in love with. I'll let her choose. If worse come to worse, it has a return on it

Jul 2, 2013
I have seen bats break at 12u. I know plenty of 14u girls that swing hard enough agaimst the right pitcher to break a bat. I have a pyroflyte warmer that dd uses in early spring late fall.

Bat warmers are illegal. In cold weather do not leave your bat in the car trunk overnight. Bring it in the house, place it in a warm part of the house.

I would not own a bat warmer, much less say I use one if I did.

Apr 1, 2010
DD and a teammate both broke composites on the same day back in 12U ball. The weekend before had been terribly cold--we'd had a night game right at freezing or possibly a little below. I'm betting they got cracked at that time and were just time bombs waiting to break.

I'm sure the bat manufacturers are erring on the side of caution when they say 60 degrees; I'm not sure exactly where the real red zone is, but I suspect freezing is too cold. :)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I do not know anything about this bat and DD hasn’t hit it yet but I got her one of these for a cage/ cold weather bat: Louisville Slugger 2010 TPS H2 Hybrid Fastpitch Bat.

Where the ball hits the bat is aluminum but the handle part is composite, I might over think things. :)

JS...LS has the composite handle as you know and they do not recommend using it in batting cage work or cold weather below 60 degrees. A majority of those bats will break where the handle meets the barrel. Years ago, we had a very similar bat and DD was in the local batting cage hitting. The ball came in, DD swung, made good contact and the barrel went flying. The ball dribbled down slope back to the machine while DD gaped open-mouthed at the handle left in her hands. The look on her face was priceless!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
The only thing the 60 degree thing does is keep you from using the bat as much as you should and helps the manufacturer cut down on a ton of possible returns. You are doing them a huge favor.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The only thing the 60 degree thing does is keep you from using the bat as much as you should and helps the manufacturer cut down on a ton of possible returns. You are doing them a huge favor.

I absolutely agree Core. The point I was trying to make was more about the batting cages for this style of bat as opposed to the actual temperature, These bats are the ones where you can hold the barrel in one hand, the handle in the other and try to flex it. You will usually be able to get as much as a full inch of flex if you're strong enough. I have seen these bats promoted under famous SBer's names, the most recent one that I know of being Bustos. It may have changed since then. I really haven't kept up with LS for the past couple of years.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp