Coaching Third Base - Instructions for runners during the play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
While coaching third at one of our games, something occurred to me that never had before: Are there universal mechanics used for the different instructions a third base coach gives a base runner?

This mostly occurred to me as a runner was cruising into third and I had both hands up, which is something I've seen hundreds of times from a coach (or a player at home) telling his runner to come in standing up. I also found myself just pointing at the base to remind them to stay on the base (some of our new girls occasionally overrun a base). And of course we all know the windmill arm motion to send a runner home.

As I thought about it, I realized there might be some other instructions I'd want to give in a quick hand signal (the difference between "hold at second," which I've always figured was the "talk to the hand" move and "easily come to a stop on third," which is the aforementioned two hands up).

And, as I type this, I realize that maybe some of you use different signals than what I've always done. And I'm not sure WHY I do some of these, other than I've either seen it or it just seems like the natural thing to do. But if there's a uniform set of signals, I'd prefer to start using those so I can teach them to the girls so they know what to look for.

Mar 9, 2017
Mississippi
Hand signals are fine with me as long as the runner knows what they mean and you have practiced, but my hand signals are ALWAYS mixed with my voice. Why leave anything to chance?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Where it gets hard is when you are giving signals to 2 runners at the same time, just takes some practice.

Your singles sound fine to me.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD's JUCO, Chipola has quite the system for this. It is a mix of hand and voice signals. However, the voice signals mean nothing and are there just to create chaos. With a runner on 2nd and a shot to left he will position himself down the line signaling the runner to keep going while yelling quite loud, Stop! Stop! Stop! Often the ball comes to the 3rd baseman who casually turns toward the bag only to see the horse has left the barn.

I know of no universal system, but simplicity and consistency are critical.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
My DD's JUCO, Chipola has quite the system for this. It is a mix of hand and voice signals. However, the voice signals mean nothing and are there just to create chaos. With a runner on 2nd and a shot to left he will position himself down the line signaling the runner to keep going while yelling quite loud, Stop! Stop! Stop! Often the ball comes to the 3rd baseman who casually turns toward the bag only to see the horse has left the barn.

I know of no universal system, but simplicity and consistency are critical.

If I tried to signal one thing with my hands and yell out the opposite instruction, I have no idea if my players would get it, but I'm quite certain my own head would explode.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Hand signals are fine with me as long as the runner knows what they mean and you have practiced, but my hand signals are ALWAYS mixed with my voice. Why leave anything to chance?

Same here, but as loud as I try to be, when the ball is in play there's absolute chaos. Everybody is yelling, and I know the girls (especially the new ones) get so overwhelmed they don't really hear me. I'll never stop yelling in those moments, but I was thinking if I had just a few basic signals I could take advantage of their tendency to go deaf in those moments. I could teach them to ignore the noise and just watch what I'm doing.

Mar 9, 2017
Mississippi
Same here, but as loud as I try to be, when the ball is in play there's absolute chaos. Everybody is yelling, and I know the girls (especially the new ones) get so overwhelmed they don't really hear me. I'll never stop yelling in those moments, but I was thinking if I had just a few basic signals I could take advantage of their tendency to go deaf in those moments. I could teach them to ignore the noise and just watch what I'm doing.

One thing we do for the noise, which can happen during our north state or state championship games, is pipe in loud music through our speakers.... Helps to provide some chaos and see how the girls, and I, respond.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp