Coaching book or otherwise for going up in age and comp level....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2013
Hey all.. first post... so be kind! :cool:

I have assistant coached a couple years, and head coached for the 1st time this last spring rec season with my daughter's 12u. I am LIKELY to be drafted to head coach 12u winterball. which is a more competitive vibe, all interleague, than our rec.

I feel pretty strong in evaluating players, THINK I run a good practice etc... where I feel like I am lacking is situational responses... 1st and 3rd, 1 out... what to do with next batter... when to bunt, when to hit and run, all that stuff...

In spring rec, I didnt have the weapons to call that stuff, because half my team was really new... so I concentrated more on just building them, letting them go up and hit without a lot of strategy... Girls had a lot of fun...

BUT, I think I will get dusted and way out coached if I follow that same strategy in winterball. So I was wondering if anyone had a good book recommendation, or other that.... talks about some of the more advanced topics in strategy and coaching....? I am learning a lot just lurking, and know that in this season I will learn a lot, but want to try and lesson how hard my learning curve affects the kids chances to succeed!

TIA! Carson

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Lots out there... I keep going back to the same sources though:

Cindy Bristow's Softball Excellence website - Softball Excellence. Yes you pay for it, but it is worth it for a year - especially for a first year coach.

Coaching Fastpitch Softball Successfully - by Kathy Veroni and Roanna Brazier

High-Scoring Softball by Ralph Weekly Jr. and Karen Weekly (this one I didn't find as useful overall but there are some gems in there if you look hard).

Only thing I will say is ignore all the pitching technique sections - for that go the Bill Hillhouse DVD (Bill Hillhouse: House of Pitching Softball Academy) and BoardMembers IR posts (if your pitchers aren't handling this themselves separately). And for catchers the New England Catchers Camp (The New England Catching Camp) DVD's are a must.

That should keep you busy and help empty the wallet a bit.

Jul 24, 2013
HA! THE WALLET!

cool! thanks! I had seen the veroni book elsewhere, but hadnt heard of softball excellence!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Post specific situations on this forum and ask, "What would you do?" There are some really bright people on here and they can give you different approaches.

It is very interesting to read how different successful coaches approach the same situation.

Jul 24, 2013
sluggers.... I was trying to avoid the noob flood, and also wanted to try and avoid making the mistakes/missing stuff the first time... But I for sure will ask... I have learned a lot just browsing...

Post specific situations on this forum and ask, "What would you do?" There are some really bright people on here and they can give you different approaches.

It is very interesting to read how different successful coaches approach the same situation.

Jun 24, 2013
My wife and I constantly joke that we could write several successful "How-to" books based on this title alone: "Want to be successfull, just don't do the things we did!" Mistakes are going to happen. They call it "getting schooled" for a reason. Take your lumps, post away. Don't let the fear of the noob label scare ya. We have all been you at one time or another. There are some scenarios that you just learn along the way. For example, in playing our local rec league we had several "house rules" that included: no new inning can start after 1 hour and a half and 5 run per inning rule unless it is the final inning, but must be announced at the top of the inning. We were in a game that was pushing the time limit, 1 hour and 25 minutes had passed, we were down by 3 runs, with bases loaded, however we had already scored 3 runs that inning. Since we were home we were batting last and we started the inning under the 5 run limit rule, so we had to finish it under that rule. The other team began stalling, we had 2 outs, we were destined to finish the game and lose if we scored the final 2 runs, and then an idea hit me. Steal home on a caught pitch. Ball or strike didn't matter I needed that final out to end the inning, since the ump we were using wasn't aware of the look back rule, stepping off the base early was not an option (trust me, the blue made several bad calls this game already). I flashed the signal to my 3rd base coach, the slit throat signal. I told them to send them home next pitch no matter what. It helped us that we had the slowest girl on our team on 3rd. They looked at me confusingly, "Send them home intentionly to get out? But we need more runs!"
I flashed the sign again, "I will explain later" I conveyed through my actions. I toyed with the idea of trying to get one more run and then get the out, but the stalling could have taken place and i was one pitchers conference and pitcher replacement from going over the time limit, I couldn't chance it. The 3rd base coach complied. The catcher got up and ran out and tagged our girl who was coming home, inning over and next inning was announced. "Unlimited runs" the blue said. Music to my ears. The girl came in to the dugout crying because she got out. I told her I would explain later, but I actually needed her to get out. We ended up shutting them out and then getting 4 runs across to win the game. At the post game conference with the girls I called up the "sacrificial lamb" and gave her the game ball. i stated that because she got out when i told her to, she saved the game. She was able to forget the crying and go home happy. My 3B coach said "I thought you were crazy at first, but didn't realize the time llimit thingy. You are crazy, crazy like a fox....."

So somethings you will learn on the fly. Have fun and ask away. I am sure we all have crazy stories like that to tell you that you can learn from.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2013
so you figure kill the inning, since you had 2 outs and scoring again was a question mark..... then play basically a 0-0 inning for the win? ballsy

Jun 24, 2013
If we would have scored 2 more runs (which would have capped our 5 runs for the inning) and we could have since we had bases loaded, but it would have taken at least 5 minutes with the expected pitcher conference, which would have ended the game due to time rule (no new inning can start after 1 hr 30 minutes). Since the local run rule was a 5 run rule we could not have scored the 3 runs we needed to tie the game since we had already scored 3 runs. If we score 2 more we are still down 1 with game expired, but by killing the inning once the new inning started we had to finish it since we were the home team and we were behind. Also the new last inning would be an unlimited run rule, so even if the other team scored more runs, we would not be limited on how many we could score. BUT I had to get to that new inning, even if that meant leaving runs on the field. I guess that I could have let the hitter hit and hope for at least a 2 run shot to end the inning (due to 5 run rule) hoping to beat the time limit, but I knew the batter and doubted that she would make that miracle hit and I figured once the other coach figured out we could not overcome them by score, but they could beat us with delays, my options would become severley limited or eliminated. I had to get to that new inning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12