coaching a 12U team...advice please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
WOW...GREAT ADVICE EVERYBODY!!! Keep it coming!!
One other question....we all get upset at our players.....in the High School Teams, we can show it some more...any advice on how to handle my emotions with the 12U team....for your benefit I am not a screamer on any level but my HS ladies can see it when I am upset!!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
any advice on how to handle my emotions with the 12U team....for your benefit I am not a screamer on any level but my HS ladies can see it when I am upset!!
My girls can usually read me by the expression on my face. If I'm shooting them the look, they know something isn't right--rather they've been acting up (doing something stupid, goofing off) or because they haven't been hustling or playing to their potential. In practice, one of the best ways to show that your upset is to simply explain what is wrong, why you expect more, and if they need to be punished, go ahead and do so.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
WOW...GREAT ADVICE EVERYBODY!!! Keep it coming!!
One other question....we all get upset at our players.....in the High School Teams, we can show it some more...any advice on how to handle my emotions with the 12U team....for your benefit I am not a screamer on any level but my HS ladies can see it when I am upset!!

If you figure it out pass it along to the rest of us. I try to keep frustration, irritation and all the rest buried deep when working with the girls. So far I don't think I've fooled them once.

Jul 9, 2010
I hate to say, I have a hard time hiding my facial expressions. In fact, my DD has told me my "looks" could be more damaging than words.

When frustrated, try not to yell instruction while they are still in the field. Also, talk to them one-on-one, instructionally, as opposed to calling them out in front of their teammates. Always tell them how to correct what they are doing, give some positive feedback, and help them learn.

Now, if they are throwing dirt on each other and making mudpies on the bench, I lose my mind, and they all know it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207