Coaches: I Need some opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I agree with the only coaching during a game comes from the coaches, and then it's more guidance, not time to cover stuff they missed in practice.

we had a 10U girl who was big for her age and lacked discipline at the plate. we were working with her on pitch selection and not swinging wildly. she was slowly coming around and then her father shows up and starts screaming "KILL IT!! HOMERUN KID, HOMERUN!!"
(For those of you who have dogs, this had the same effect as when you are trying to train your dog to 'heel' and he sees a squirrel. all bets are off!) she swung wildly at everything and went down in 3 or 4 pitches.

I saw an assistant coach (U16) who fancied himself to be a "hitting coach" who showed up just as a game was starting and calls the first four batters over before the inning starts and starts lecturing them to "hit the lower half of the ball, you'll hit nothing but nice line drives!". Fortunately DD was adept at the "smile and nod" response.

One time I saw a U10 pitcher struggling, so I went over and talked to her coach, explaining what I thought she could do to fix her pitching. He he thanked me and explained it to her before she went out the next inning and it worked like charm. The excitement on that girls face ...With all the games and championships my teams have had and all the ups and downs, that remains one of my fondest memories and I wasn't a participant.

Jan 31, 2011
iN MY 25 PLUS YEARS OF SOFTBALL I HAVE SEEN PARENTS, FANS AND COACHES TRYING TO TEACH PLAYERS WHILE THEY ARE HITTING, FIELDING AND PITCHING. NONE OF THESE BLEACHER COACHES HAVE SUCCEEDED. WHEN A PLAYER IS PREPARING TO ENTER THE BATTER'S BOX OR IN THE BATTER'S BOX DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WANT TO HERE YOU? DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY CAN HERE YOU? PUT YOUR SELF IN THAT POSITION, RUNNERS ON SECOND AND THIRD, TWO OUTS, IN THE BOTTOM OF THE 7TH. YOUR BATTING, YOUR COACH IS YELLING INSTRUCTIONS TO YOU, THE FANS ARE YELLING INSTRUCTIONS TO YOU, YOUR FATHER IS YELLING INSTRUCTION TO YOU, ANOTHER COACH IS YELLING INSTRUCTIONS TO YOU. NOW, THE PITCH IS THROWN AND YOU STRIKE OUT. WHAT DO YOU HERE? EACH PERSON THAT WAS YELLING IS SAYING IT SHE WOULD OF ONLY LISTENED TO ME. WHAT'S THE POINT? PLEASE LET THE PLAYER PLAY, SHE WILL DO FINE ON HER OWN.

AMEN BROTHER! Let the kids play.

Jul 9, 2010
It is possible, just maybe, that you (as a coach) notice something that the player is doing that, if corrected, would help her out. As a coach, I think it would be appropriate to offer said advice. It could be a minor thing related to pitching, or it could be a minor hitting thing.

As far as parents and everyone else yelling from the stands - I don't like anymore than anyone else. However, my players know better than to pay attention to it.

They aren't made of glass folks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30