coaches have to cheat to win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
Blame that on the parents.

The parents are undoubtedly a problem. So are the rec leagues that while saying winning isn't everything don't really believe it (as evidenced by whom they pick for accolades and how they steer players to the coaches who win), and so are the coaches who, while proclaiming they only want "good kids" (honestly, how many of them aren't good kids at ages 6-8?) do whatever it takes to get the "good kids" who also happen to be the best players by whatever means necessary. Honestly, I view the problem as an attitude; we (meaning any rec league that has an 8U program) doesn't do enough to promote development over winning. Everyone says 8U is about player development when too many really mean it's about developing winning teams.

Feb 18, 2014
I always ask away umpires for their interpretation of the continuation rule because most of them have it wrong. But I want to know how they rule it and play accordingly.

What is a "continuation" rule? Must be something local
I don't think that it is a rule, but continuation refers to, on a walk, with a runner on third, sending the batter-runner to second to try to pull the throw.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What is a "continuation" rule? Must be something local

I've only seen it in 8u rec. But a simple answer is..........

Chalk lines are drawn halfway between 1st n 2nd, 2nd n 3rd, 3rd n home. That age has a "radius rule", which is the 8' chalked circle around the pitcher's rubber, and if a pitcher/player can get possession of the ball and enters the circle, the play is dead.

If Sally is on the 1B side of the halfway chalk line, she goes back to 1B, past the line she advances to 2B. Same logic applies to other bases. The lines are there to help the ump determine if she "continues" or retreats once the radius rule is in effect.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've only seen it in 8u rec. But a simple answer is..........

Chalk lines are drawn halfway between 1st n 2nd, 2nd n 3rd, 3rd n home. That age has a "radius rule", which is the 8' chalked circle around the pitcher's rubber, and if a pitcher/player can get possession of the ball and enters the circle, the play is dead.

If Sally is on the 1B side of the halfway chalk line, she goes back to 1B, past the line she advances to 2B. Same logic applies to other bases. The lines are there to help the ump determine if she "continues" or retreats once the radius rule is in effect.

Thank you for the explanation

Feb 29, 2012
Around our way continuation means a girl who was just walked advances to 1st and continues on to 2B. Usually but not always with a runner on 3B. The problem in my area is that umpires have differing interpretation of this. Some say once the runner turns 1st they have to proceed to 2nd. Others use the lookback rule so they are allowed to stop but then must proceed to 2nd or go back to 1st. This is town travel but 12U and up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi