Coach/Umpire relationship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2019
One thing that some umps do that seem to mitigate the frustration coaches feel by "questionable" balls and strikes calls is to simply motion that the belt high fastball was inside or outside. Should they have to? Probably not. But coaches always think their pitcher is getting squeezed, and the other pitcher is getting all the calls. Calling a ball and holding your palm out to the right lets the coach know that the perfect pitch right down the middle, was actually a ball into the outside batters box.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Calling a ball and holding your palm out to the right
Looks like a half-hearted strike call.

Umpires are not broadcasters (thank God, I have a face made for radio). We should NOT be announcing or indicating where pitches are located this is in nearly every mechanics manual I have ever read. Coaches can ask their catchers where a pitch was.

Jun 1, 2015
I'll mention what has worked the best for me - I started out in 2005 as a 16-yo junior in HS doing stats for my varsity softball team when I was asked if I was interested in umpiring for our local 10/12U league. I jumped at the chance - 2 hours of work? $25 bucks? Not doing homework? Sign me up! But what helped me the most was getting the change to study the rules and understand why certain rules were the way they were and how to properly make calls that would give me credibility and not make me out to be some "dumb kid behind the plate because they couldn't get a real umpire".

Fast forward, I did this for 14 years. In 2014 I went through the classes to become a certified HS coach, but continued to umpire youth stuff where and when I could. In no way, shape, or form was I knowledgeable enough to handle coaching travel ball or even HS ball at that point, but I figured it was worth trying - I coached some summer rec-league ball but nothing significant. I stupidly observed how other coaches handled themselves (even toward officials) and figured that was the norm. In 2018, I signed up to become a HS softball official when I realized HS coaching gigs in my area were too hard (read: too political) to get, and after going through all the classes, and studying the rulebook, I realized I had ZERO clue what I was doing when I was coaching summer/rec ball and acting like a jerk.

The more I umpired HS and summer/winter travel ball games and dealing with some of those belligerent coaches, the more I realized I wasn't being the coach I knew I was capable of being - I was being the coach myself that I HATED dealing with as an official. So I toned my coaching voice back a bit and let my knowledge of the rules help guide me before I had to do anything. Many of the officials I yelled at 5-6 years ago are my partners now, and even a couple have said to me, "What changed you from then to now?" And my response? "Becoming an official so I knew what the Hell I was talking about or could stop myself before I said something stupid."

I'm a firm believer that ANY COACH wishing to coach HS sports (or even rec sports) should have to take the mandatory umpire certification classes - if for nothing else, to appreciate the thankless job that us officials go through on a game-to-game basis. I know, honestly, it changed my perspective on how to not only officiate and handle confrontations and relationships with coaches, but it also changed how I coach my girls - they know to respect game officials and let me handle any issues with calls and such on the field. Making this change has done so much good for me, and I'm sure it could do wonders for many other young coaches and officials like myself. /endrant

Jul 22, 2015
One thing that some umps do that seem to mitigate the frustration coaches feel by "questionable" balls and strikes calls is to simply motion that the belt high fastball was inside or outside. Should they have to? Probably not. But coaches always think their pitcher is getting squeezed, and the other pitcher is getting all the calls. Calling a ball and holding your palm out to the right lets the coach know that the perfect pitch right down the middle, was actually a ball into the outside batters box.
This is discouraged and doesn't comply with any usual umpire mechanics, but I do tell the catcher so she can communicate it to the coach.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There are different kinds of umpires & coaches because there are different kinds of people.

Even the rulebook cant sort through that!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My number one umpire pet peeve is the dictator ump who wants everyone to know he's in charge and isn't going to listen to anyone about anything. Typically you know you are in this situation at the pre-game meeting but sometimes they are quiet at that point. If it doesn't come up then, it is quickly evident. They typically will refuse to discuss anything with either coach no matter the situation and will ignore or yell back when a coach tries to ask questions.

A lot of people have no idea how to handle authority and become over officious or just have confidence issues and overcompensate. Lots of inexperienced and/or young umpires have this issue - most get better over time (if they are given the chance) as they get better. more comfortable or get more training. Some don't of course - but I am a better umpire every season than the season before.

The actual number of 'power trip ' umpires is much lower than people think - though they are out there. There are certainly as many coaches in this group as well and it is never good when the two meet.

On this note, it find it hilarious when I DO MY JOB AND ENFORCED A RULE and I hear from some jerk "You showed them who is in charge". Got that last week on a playoff game in HS when we stopped the game to have player remove some jewelry (which is REQUIRED in NFHS and coaches had been told at pre-game AGAIN to make sure). Really not sorry I did my job. Spectators don't bother me much because I am pretty good for the most part - but also because I don't let them affect me and I don't listen to them anyway. There is a line - and if I need a coach to deal with that line, I will make that happen.

A little humility goes a long way. I don't expect umps to flat out tell coaches they blew a call but I do expect them to calmly and quietly listen to any questions or comments and give feedback as needed. That's part of the job.

And that is fine if the coaches also are willing to do that and have some humility and some level of respect themselves. What some of these coaches think is 'politely approaching the umpire' is very weird. I am one of the calmest umpires you will ever see whatever is happening - but that is from years and years of umpiring lots of sports - when I was younger I had the same issues many new umpires have. I am lucky that I have seen pretty much everything.

The absolute worst one of these we had was a field ump. I heard him telling his HP ump before the games which calls he would make and which the HP ump was "allowed" to make.

There are absolutely calls that FU and PU have responsibilities for and you cannot have both umpires making calls on the same play. Going over which ones are which is a thing that may need to covered in a pre-game chat - calls at 3B are a prime example of things that I often cover. This may or may not be appropriate. I don't know what was actually said.

I am not sure why you would think just because they are the same age, they are the same level. I have umpired with officials 20+ years younger than me who would be considered the senior umpire in the contest.

A couple innings into the game the field ump made two close calls on tags. Our coach called time and went to ask the field ump what he saw. The field ump yelled at him as he left the dugout and told him to go back. He didn't need any help, it was his call, and the HP ump couldn't help even if he wanted to.

Handled VERY, VERY badly but not incorrect. If the coach is coming out calmly, let them approach, let them say what they want to say and then say pretty much the same thing in a normal voice and with better words. See above for why this umpire is likely this way.

He and 2 of the dads ended up getting thrown out after a brief exchange.

Wasn't there so no idea if this was justified.

Then the field ump proceeded to tell our 12U girls that our coach was an @$$hole.

Never appropriate.

In the end: We need more umpires and we need the ones who are already out there to stay. And we need better care and feeding of those willing to do so with training, resources, conditions, etc, etc. We need to be able to develop the ones with potential so that we can stop using the ones who are not suited to umpiring.

Last edited:

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida

For those umpiring out there: DO NOT DO THIS

It is terrible mechanics and it is one of those things that MAY WORK OUT OK IN A GAME but can escalate out of control if things go bad. ESPECIALLY if your 'arm signal' is CLEARLY wrong. Preventive umpire says this is a BAD idea. Limit yourself to the signs in the manual.

You can say nothing or you can say something that only the catcher and batter can hear on the close ones.

May 1, 2018
This weekend my 12u catcher actually got two calls reversed. One the FU made a safe call at 1st and before I could get up to even ask for time, my catcher asked for time and asked if the PU could see if he was out of position and needed help. The PU was an older lady and smiled walked out there and talking to her after said she was clearly out. She helped my catcher with her verbiage on what to say between innings.
Next game FU was out of position for a throw down tag at first, she called time and I didn't even move as she used what she learned in the last game and got the call overturned for an out.
2-2 is WAY better than I have ever gone over turning calls. lol

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There's been quite a bit of umpire bashing here lately, so I'd just like to say something to all the coaches here who take their personal time, just like umpires do, to make softball a great game for the girls who want to play.

With the exception of a couple of posts and users, I would say the discussions I have participated in I wouldn't consider umpire bashing at all. Most people participated honestly in the conversation and I have seen some well-thought questions and responses when I have provided what I see from my --personal-- view as an umpire & coach.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
With the exception of a couple of posts and uses, I would say the discussions I have participated in I wouldn't consider umpire bashing at all. Most people participated honestly in the conversation and I have seen some well-thought questions and responses when I have provided what I see from my --personal-- view as an umpire & coach.
Would also add
There has been A LOT more posts made by an umpire on this dfp sight.

i especially notice the different style's of the umpires who post here. Certainly exposes the umpiring process when other umpires step in to correct other umpires. And umpires telling other umpires how they should handle things. Then the back and forth about it.
Makes for thorough conversations.
From that
What makes an impression to me is,
Just play ball!

Dont let umpires distract our focus from the game!
Umpires have a hard enough time figuring the rulebook with eachother. Left to their own vices on the field...we will get one side of the debate or the other.
Just play ball!

Ask for help if help is available
ie-2 blues.
...but that may just be opening
an umpiring can of worms :)
Leave that time on the clock
To play ball!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members